Jacobsen: I Will Be Roaring On The Team

ALLAN JACOBSEN admits he will be roaring Edinburgh Rugby onto success against Ulster at The Castle this evening and revealed he is not far away from staging his comeback from injury. The fans" favourite " nicknamed "Chunk" " suffered a severe calf problem while on World Cup duty with Scotland which ruled him out for the rest of the tournament.

But now after undergoing part of a thorough rehabilitation programme the 29-year-old prop is confident he is on course to make a rapid recovery.

And, despite being sidelined with the set-back, Jacobsen is still aiming to play his part to help the team get the upper hand against Ulster " by cheering on his team-mates from the stands.

Jacobsen said: "I"ll be there shouting as much as anyone else. But it will be difficult watching the boys and not being able to do anything."

Unfailingly cheerful and upbeat, the 17 stone front rower, who has been with Edinburgh Rugby for nine years, is champing at the bit to get back to full fitness and help the club climb up the Magners League table.

But, even though he is reluctant to pinpoint an exact date for his return to first team duties, he is confident he will happen sooner rather than later.

He added: "It is difficult to set a target for a comeback and I don't think anyone wants to put times on it. After the medical team had first seen the scan I was initially given a timeline of somewhere between six to eight weeks put on it.

'so that means another three to five weeks. From what the physios are saying to me it seems to be going pretty well.

"I had 10 days off after it happened and then I came back to Edinburgh Rugby for physio to get treatment. I have been doing my rehab circuit to try and strengthen my calf muscle back up."

Three weeks after the injury happened against Portugal in St Etienne, Jacobsen confesses he knew immediately the knock was serious.

He remembered: "I tore a two centimetre hole in the lower part of my calf. It just went " it was more of a freak injury than anything else.

"I was just pushing in a scrum as normal when I felt a popping sensation. Then when the scrum had finished I tried to walk away and I couldn't put any weight on my leg.

"When something like that happens at first you are like; "I"ll be alright and it is not that serious." But I had never felt that popping sensation before and because I couldn't put any weight on it I had to be carried off the pitch.

'then I knew that it wasn't going to be a two-week set-back and that is was pretty serious. I tried to kid myself on, but I knew straight away that was it for the tournament.

"After it happened I got really down and all the boys were disappointed for me. I had a chat with Frank (Hadden) and he said he couldn't believe it after all the hard work we had done over the summer. He just said try and do what you can to get back to fitness."

Jacobsen admits he is looking forward to a memorable double this weekend " watching both Edinburgh Rugby and Scotland achieve top-class wins.

He said: "I think Scotland has a really good chance and I feel we should beat them convincingly. When we have struggled in the past against Italy it has been when they have had the better of us up front.

"But I think the pack we"ve got now can really compete with anyone up front. With regards to our club, Ulster is always a tough game, but the boys have trained hard all summer.

"I"ve watched them and they are in really good shape. I watched a video of the Leinster game and there was a lot of good stuff. Now they just need to polish a few things.

"Personally I"ve not had the chance to see as much of the club's new signings as I normally would because of the World Cup and the injury.

"But from what I can see we have got a pretty strong squad and I can't wait to get involved again. Edinburgh is my club and my number one priority is to get fit and wear the number one shirt again."

  • Meanwhile, Jacobsen and 17 of his Edinburgh Rugby team-mates attended a community session at Firhill School where they took passing drills with 40 children for over an hour. The session was a success and is the first of many planned to take the spirit of 'Our Castle' out to the local children.