Kiwis Deny Scots Their Own Cup Final

It was to be no fairytale ending for Scotland who were knocked out of the Cup competition on day two at the Emirates Airline Edinburgh Sevens by New Zealand, posting a 36-14 scoreline.

As New Zealand proceed through the Cup competition, Scotland went on to face Fiji in the Plate semi-final.

The home side had a fortunate start to the encounter as a New Zealand kick-off turned into a Scotland lineout. The Scots did well to maintain possession in the early stages of the game but gained little ground despite making good breaks.

The tireless New Zealand defence kept the Scots under control and in their own half before showcasing their characteristic clinical rugby with a score from their first touch of the ball following a turn over on the halfway line. Tomasi Cama converted.

Scotland then mounted their own attack but as Chirs Fusaro took the ball into contact, he received no support and the Kiwi's stole the ball to run in for their second try. Cama converted. The Murrayfield crowd then rose to their feet as Colin Gregor, Scotland's highest ever points scorer in IRB events, ran in underneath the posts.

Andrew Turnbull's quick change of pace kept the defence guessing out wide and as the ball was spun left, Greig Laidlaw released Gregor who cut a neat angle to soar in for the score.

Then just before the break, New Zealand took the initiative and stretched further out of reach as their game continued to thrive on loose ball.

Gathering the ball off the deck after a failed Scotland restart, Nafi Tuitavaki finished off an opportunist try.

New Zealand started the second period on their own terms as they worked the ball through the hands giving Kendrick Lynn enough of a space to slice through the defence. Cama converted.

Despite the game slipping from their grasp, Gregor touched down for his, and Scotland's, second try. Showing their class, the Scots worked their way out of their own 22 retaining possession with a blend of keen support and clinical passing. Gregor converted his own try.

New Zealand then struck twice, firstly through Tim Mikkleson, as Steven Lawrie failed to make the tackle and was duly shown how severely you are punished for any mistake in rugby sevens. Cama converted.

Cama then completed his tally of 15 points as New Zealand used the overlap to their advantage when a Scotland player was receiving treatment on the field.