Cougars Bounce Back...

After last weekends disappointing loss to fellow title contenders Hillhead, a win was a must for the Cougars as they travelled to Kirkcaldy.Rain, mud, wind, correction: gales- most normal people would stay inside.
Injuries and work commitments reduced Cougar numbers to 12 until some begging phonecalls boosted us to 13 for the 2nd half thanks to Mairi who was unable to resist the temptation of Sunday afternoon rugby love. Low numbers was always going to prove difficult against an improved Kirkcaldy side who have had a very positive start to their season.

The home side began well and solid defending kept RHC off the try line until a powerful pick and go from Uist broke the deadlock.
Kirkcaldy replied with strong running and interlinking play to break the line, keeping the pressure on the Cougars. The RHC forward pack worked hard, player-of-the-match Maz and Kirsty-from-Berwick putting in some outstanding hits and turn over ball at crucial times.
Cougars had to work even harder when Ronnie left the field to turn a peculiar shade of green and and fertilise the hallowed turf with her breakfast after deciding to do a flying tackle with her left knee cap. And nothing else. She bravely returned to the line to yell 'Miss me' for the remaining 55mins. Great tackling from I-love-the-wing-Joansie undoubtedly kept the game within reach for the Cougars and stopped Muff adding to her try tally.

Half time&&

Kirkcaldy started well, but failed to capitalize fully on the extra numbers and overlaps out wide. However points were added from strength through the middle and a solo effort from the No.10 to leave the Cougars trailing 25v26 inside 10mins.
Quick penalties and tactical kicking from Daggy gained Cougars ground and Farmers boot was as reliable as ever with a successful penalty putting RHC back in contention. A driving maul followed by slick hands along the 'miss me' line led to great team try in the corner, but the clock still had minutes to play.
Hard work, a cracking shiner for Sickie, bruises and determination rewarded Cougars with another try in the dying minutes, Juff cutting her way through several tackles up the wing and offloading to Cara to seal the game.

Full time 39 v 26

A hard fought victory for a team who worked hard for each other and were determined until the end. Well Done ladies!