Orkney Lose At Home To Glenrothes

Orkney 10 – Glenrothes 23
There was a bit of concern as everyone started turning up last Saturday for the one o’clock KO, the internal game had been called off an hour earlier as the pitches were frozen in the hard overnight frost. After both teams had inspected the pitches it was decided that the game would go ahead but out on one of the outfield pitches. The game was refereed by E Knight.

Orkney kicked off the game and after the initial frantic 5 minutes of both teams testing out the opposition defences it was Orkney that made the first play of any meaning with a good run by A Watson, but he couldn’t feed P Ross early enough on the wing and the Glenrothes defence scrambled back to cover.  It was 10 minutes into the game before there was Glenrothes had there first chance to put points on the board when an Orkney player went over the top at a ruck, fortunately their no. 10 missed the penalty kick and the score stayed 0-0.

Neither team really seemed to be getting to grips with the game and it was another 10 minutes before Glenrothes got the chance to add to the score after an Orkney forward had gone over the top at a ruck , again Orkney got let off lightly with the Glenrothes stand off again missing the kick at the posts. Unfortunatley two minutes later Glen did manage to put points on the score board when they stole the ball from an Orkney lineout and their no. 9 ran straight through the defence to score, thankfully their stand off missed the conversion so the score was only 0-5. Orkney didn’t take the chance to get back into the game  and their no. 14 added to the score running through for a further try, again the stand off missed the conversion. This finally seemed to spur Orkney into action and a great initial break from E Russell who then fed A Cuddihy who broke a few tackles to go over the line, E Laughton added the conversion and with the score at 7-10 Orkney were right back in the game. Glenrothes did get the chance to add to their score before half time but their stand off missed two more penalty kicks. Right on half time E Laughton tied the scores when Glen were penalised for being offside.

Full report at www.orkneyrfc.co.uk