Haddington Win At Netherdale

After an opening 40 minutes in which we should have been free and clear, but only turned around 6-0 up Haddington came out far hungrier and, despite a man down for the first 10 of the second half, had us on the back foot enabling them to get the only 2 tries of the game, and the all important points. The opening 5 minutes were more aerial ping pong than anything before we conceded 2 penalties in 2 minutes, both kickable, and both thankfully missed. The first points of the game came our way after Willie broke free, offloaded to Bruce and we had a penalty at the ruck. Points kicked by Bruce, 3-0.

Our first venture into their 22 with ball in hand came in the 15th after Fraz came into the line and took it all the way to 5m short, only for the supporting players to concede a penalty and hand possession back.

Going into the 2nd quarter saw some sustained Gala pressure in the Haddington 22 but we could not find our way to the line. Trying to avoid coming away with nothing Bruce went for a drop goal which came back off the post and Chris was the first to it. Penalty Gala in the follow up and Malky takes a quick tap and looks to be over, but stopped short, back for another penalty as they weren’t 10m, and we opt for the points which Bruce duly delivers, 6-0.

At this stage it is mostly Gala and few forays into our half, but we still cannot get the ball over the line and continue to kick away hard won possession, which they were covering well.

Our closest attempt in the first half was following another penalty to us which was put to touch for a 5m line. It was kept simple and driven on before being released, but when a grubber was put in on the wing it bobbled in touch.

40 gone and we get another penalty and a yellow card to their 13, but Bruce’s kick was low and well off target.

The half finishes in injury time with us on another attack, but Robbo is forced into touch as he tries to go round his man.

Half time 6-0.

Read the full report at www.galarfc.com