Alloa Back On Track With Some Great Running Rugby

Alloa RFC 1st  XV 71   Stobswell RFC 1st XV 0
It was an eager Alloa side who took to the field at Earlsfield on Saturday, still smarting from the previous weeks disappointing defeat, determined not to make the same mistakes again. In truth, this was never likely to happen against a side that remains rooted at the foot of the table.

Straight from the kickoff Alloa took the game by the scruff of the neck and set about imposing themselves on their opponents from Dundee.  Within 2 minutes, any cobwebs were well and truly dusted off when Rab Truesdale, finished off an excellent move to score the game’s first try.  Two minutes later his Inside Centre partner, Rik Odendal, crashed through the opposition defence to score between the posts and leave an easy conversion for Standoff, Matt Allan.  This set the tone for the rest of the match and the Alloa side really was dominating proceedings both upfront and in the backs.  Rab Truesdale, completed his hat trick when he scored the next 2 tries and young  Winger, Fraser Donaldson, added to his season ’s already impressive tally when he scored just before half time for a 33 – 0 lead.
The coaching staff took the opportunity to make 6 changes to the first half side and their 5 try haul was surpassed in the 2nd half with 6 further tries. Skipper, Truesdale, scored the first 2 tries of the half to further stretch the lead before the game’s best try which started deep in their own 22.  Some fine interchanging within the forwards transported the ball over the half way line where it was then released into the backs for Truesdale to sidestep his opposite number and offload an inside pass to Alan McGhee, who was making a welcome return to the side following a lengthy absence.  Alan made a trademark gallop for the line only to be held up short, but he then displayed excellent ability to offload in the tackle to the supporting Gary Taylor who was left with an easy score.  This was a much deserved score for the youngster, who was making his senior debut in the No.8 position following previous outings in the 2nd row and he provided a performance which demonstrated that he has an exciting future in this position. 
Big Gregor Sneddon, who appeared as a second half replacement, scored the next 2 tries much to the large crowd’s enjoyment. The game’s final score was befittingly finished off by Truesdale to complete his 6 try haul, but amazingly this was not enough for him to receive the Man of the Match which was deservedly awarded to Gary Taylor.
Unfortunately, next week’s Cup Match against Lossiemouth which was scheduled for Earlsfield will now not take place due to the RAF side withdrawing from the competition.  Alloa now await the revised Cup draw to find out who their next opponents will be on 10th January 2009.
Alloa Rugby Club would like to thank PDL (Professional Direct Logistics) and GAC Logistics (UK) for their generous support of Saturday’s fixture, along with the “Friends of ARFC” who made this another enjoyable afternoon.