Great Result For Deeside S2

Grammar 24, Deeside 38

After the long holiday break and many bad weather cancellations Deeside S2 rugby team were action again last Sunday away to Aberdeen Grammar.  The S2’s beat Grammar in their last encounter in a home game but knew that an away game would be much more of a test. 

Deeside started with the wind in their favour and right from the off the forwards put intense pressure on the opposition.  Within five minutes Angus Wallace scored from a fine drive.  The only worry in the first half was Deeside’s occasional tendency to panic under pressure rather than settle into the game, and Grammar were duly rewarded with a converted try of their own to take the lead. Deeside’s forward’s soon began to dominate and first half continued in this pattern with the Deeside pack dictating the game and providing quality ball to the backs who rewarded the forwards with good gains in ground and holding onto the possession. 

Two excellent forward tries resulted the first from Tom Christie, the second from Lewis Hunter. Good offloads in the tackle and quick recycling of the ball contributed to both.  Deeside’s scrum half Matthew Hillier was unlucky not to pinch another with a 25m break down the blind side from a ruck, and was only stopped by a crunching last ditch tackle from the Grammar full back who bowled him into touch just short of the line.  More points followed swiftly though from the resulting lineout as Angus Wallace got his second try after the forwards stole the ball off the opposition throw in. 

The first half rounded up 7 points to 24 in Deeside’s favour, but they now faced the prospect of playing into the stiff breeze.  Grammar clearly had different ideas for the second half and for the first 15 minutes they dominated play and although they broke Deeside’s defence on two occasions for the most part Deeside defencive lines were very good.  With the score now 17-24, Deeside realised it was time to take control again. 

As well as being good defensively the Deeside back line also made several breaks through the Grammar lines, one of the best coming from new recruit George Watt, others of note came from Stuart Fraser.  The forwards also realised that the scoreline was too close for comfort now and upped their game once more, the resulting pressure resulting in quick ruck ball sent wide to fly-half and captain Luke Earle-Wright who weaved his way to the line for a score. 

In the final moments of the game with Grammar still applying constant pressure a ball turned over at the ruck was picked up at the base by Jack Irvine playing at No.8 who showed his turn of speed to outpace the Grammar backs and get a final try under the posts taking the final score the 24 points to 38 in Deeside’s favour.  

This was without doubt a great team performance, but clearly the coaches will want to work hard on the patterns of play and options under pressure, as this will be the key to a win or a loss when the team comes up against sides such as Ellon away in the near future.  Team: Christie, Earle-Wright, Ferguson, Fraser, Hart, Hillier, Honey, Hunter, Irvine, Mauricio, McAskill, Morris, Stephen, Sutton, Wallace, Watt.