Peebles Come From Behind To Win

The Gytes was lit up like mid July, with the sun blazing down on it as it hadn’t in weeks.
Dunfermline was the first to get a try, after forcing Peebles back to their own five metre line. A pass out from the scrum which was dropped by Peebles, and Dunfermline’s number 9, J. Brunton ran into score. The conversion was missed, as all of Dunfermline’s conversions were. Peebles were on the attack shortly after though, and looked to have a sure try when a three on two occurred on the wing. The occasion was lost though, as a long pass was just out of reach, and the ball was dropped and the referee awarded a scrum to Dunfermline.

 This allowed Dunfermline to pick up the pace again, and after a few well placed kicks were well into the Peebles half. Just before the first ten minutes Dunfermline had their second try, after a break down the wing by number 8 N Harris to take them ten points into the lead. Despite the improvements, the Peebles defensive line was still too weak, and this showed when Dunfermline got their third points of the game through an easy penalty given by the referee close to the posts, scored by Dunfermline’s scrum half. Peebles attacked soon after, and seemed to have been reminded of what was going on in the game, as within a few minute of this penalty, they had their first points of the match in a brilliant try. They passed along the line, and after the ball had been along the line, Neil Hogarth scored in the corner and Donald Anderson nearly got the conversion but it didn’t quite curve enough as it was blown towards the posts. Trevor Keen came on next, for Ryan McConnell, to reinvigorate the team and keep the momentum.

This worked as throughout most of the next ten minutes, Peebles looked a very strong attacking side. Just before the half time whistle, Peebles pressure paid off, as Dunfermline buckled in a five metre scrum out by the touch line, and the referee decided enough was enough, and awarded a penalty try to Peebles, giving Donald Anderson an easy conversion to kick.
Peebles had managed to claw their way back, but were still trailing by four points at the end of the first half.

Peebles began the attack after the kick off, and soon got their first chance of points in the second half with a penalty right in front of the posts. Many fans saw this chance wasted when they decided to scrum it, and not take the three points. They managed to reclaim some of these points though, as five minutes later a penalty to the right of the posts was kicked by Donald Anderson to bring them within one point of Dunfermline. Almost exactly ten minutes after he scored another three points from the right hand side of the posts this time as he sliced another penalty through to take them into the lead. The Peebles scrums were proven time and time again to be the stronger of the two sides’, and this paid off in many situations and with the Peebles’ lineout had also performing well, the forwards definitely had the better of Dunfermline.

Peebles scored the final try of the game in the thirtieth minute of the second half, when Peebles’ new centre Steve Gee broke through the defence to score. Peebles looked to have scored again when Neil Hogarth scored, but the try was disallowed due to a knock on, and a second was disallowed for a forward pass with seconds to go to fulltime. Dunfermline started to crawl back with a penalty No.5 G. Simiss in the last minutes of the game, but it wasn’t enough as the referee blew time five minutes into injury time because of all the Dunfermline injuries.

Peebles had played brilliantly in today’s game, with the scrums being one of the most powerful weapon in the offensive, and defensive, arsenal. After the first few minutes of trouble Peebles seemed to get into the swing of things, and looked almost unstoppable. Peebles looked on top form today as they went into fifth place in the premier 2.
Finally, also on the winning side was my mum, Jenny Haywood, when she successfully completed the Great North Swim in Lake Windermere last Sunday. She’s still taking donations for the British Heart Foundation at or leave a donation at the club for my dad, Greg, to pass on. Many thanks.