Opening Try For Hillier In League Opener

The opening league fixture for this year’s Deeside U15 rugby squad was played against Aberdeen Grammar at Banchory’s Tillybrake ground.  Grammar have already played one league fixture away to Aberdeen Wanderers recording a comfortable 50 point win.  This game with Deeside was a different prospect and from the first whistle Deeside looked the stronger side.  In particular the Deeside pack dominated possession up front and where especially strong in the scrum, repeatedly taking ball against the head. For the first fifteen minutes, Deeside pined down Grammar in their own half but Grammar’s defence was determined and Deeside’ were unable to break it down. 

Eventually, the break came when Deeside’s scrum half, Matthew Hillier, darted around the blind side of a ruck close to the touchline but a full 22 metres out. Despite only having limited space to work in he evaded the tackles of three players and dived over for the first try of the game. With the deadlock broken Deeside tightened their grip on the game, and unfortunately for Grammar, who had travelled without substitutes, an injury sustained in training by one of their players flared up and reduced their numbers to 14.

Deeside kept focused and some excellent handling and recycling of the ball quickly out of contact saw a move started by Captain Angus Wallace finished off by hooker Angus Hart for a try under posts.  Standoff Luke Earle-right converted and at half time the score stood at 12 – 0. 

At the break Grammar were offered a Deeside player to make up numbers and although appreciative of the offer decided to stay as they were their injured player deciding to returned to the game.  Deeside were now very much in control, and despite having the wind against them started to run in a series of tries.  The first came from Tom Christie, who had an excellent game all round and was particularly notable for the strength of his tackling in defence. 

Angus Hart started and finished the next one with a characteristic powerful run and was unlucky not to get a third from a well worked five metre lineout.  Luke Earle Wright got the final Deeside try, with a quickly taken tap penalty on the 22, tacking advantage of an uncharacteristic lapse in Grammar’s concentration.  With the score at 29-0 Deeside took their foot of the gas, while Grammar to their credit we’re in no mood to give up. 

Both of Grammar’s tries were scored in the final 5 minutes of the game.  The first was made by some good handling by the back line sending the ball quickly out wide into space allowing the Grammar winger to show off his pace, and the second from some very determined hard running by their talented flanker Josh Gomaz, who powered his way over the line from a ruck 10 metres out. 

Altogether this was a very competitive game and Deeside will be pleased with this good team performance resulting in a 29-10 win against an experienced Grammar side.  Special note should be given to Paul Dargie, and Daniel Fitzgerald who adapted well to playing out of position, and to Kyle Dawson and Victor Mauricio who stepped up to the mark in defence on the wings. League results and next fixtures can be viewed on the U15 page at the clubs website: Deeside: Joe Birdsey, Thomas Christie, John Crilly, Paul dargie, Kyle Dawson, Luke Earle-Wright, james Ferguson, Daniel Fitzgerald, Stuart Fraser, Duncan Harle, Angus Hart, Matthew Hillier, Joney Honey, Victor Mauricio, Melvin McAskill, Sam Morris, Garran Sutton, Angus Wallace.