Deeside Vs Aberdeen Grammar - Great Rugby All Round.

Deeside S1 and S2 travelled to Rubislaw last Sunday to play sides from the Aberdeen Grammar Club. This was always going to be a tough encounter for both sides against Grammar's expansive game. For the S1’s although the home side ran out winners by 11 tries to 3, and there was a significant all round improvement in the Deeside performance compared to the precious week. The visitors scored a try in each of the three 15-minute periods. Their opening score came from a passing move out to left wing Joshua Williams who ran down the touchline to round the last tackle and score under the posts. The try was converted by Jack Christie. Deesides' second period try came from a surging run from the halfway line, Daniel Graham spotting the gap in the Grammar can back strong defensive line and showing a clean pair of heels. Brice Ledingham secured the conversion. In the third period, a swift passing move once again released the attacking potential of Joshua Williams on the wing - this time running from inside his own 22m line to score - by far - the longest solo effort of the day. Due to having only 10-men, Deeside did not have the luxury of rolling substitutes and in the third period this started to take its toll on a full sized pitch. This was further compounded when Harry Lenton had to retire with a wrist injury. However, at no time did the visitor's heads drop and they should take consolation from a much more cohesive team performance with a marked improvement in tackling and rucking at the breakdown.
 The S2 game was a thrilling spectacle with the lead changing hands six times.  Despite playing in to a strong wind, Deeside scored first through John Crilly who also converted.  Grammar came back strongly scoring three tries in the first half to take the score to 11:4.  With the wind in their favour in the second half, Deeside started stronger and two tries, one form a strong drive by Alex Taylor, both converted by John Crilly, saw Deeside take the lead again 11:12.  Grammar response was immediate and some poor tackling from Deeside allowed the Grammar centre to run straight through for a try from the restart, unconverted the score was now 14: 12.   Deeside rallied and John Crilly scored his hat-trick to take the lead back 14:16.  The least five minutes of the game were frantic, both sides attacking and defending to the last. Grammar however had the last word and ran in two tries in quick succession by breaking through the last ditch tackles from Deeside.  The score finished 20:16 and to be fair this was a game that either side could have won. Good performances were noted from Adam Thomson playing hooker, and loose head Alex Fyfe in spite of some emergency dental treatment right before the game with pliers!  Matthew Hillier’s game sense was evident throughout and Rafe Welsh was solid in defence constantly turning ball over.  Others who deserve mention are Cameron Wood, and Connor Bull who constantly took on the biggest players in the Grammar back line.  This was a fiercely competitive game enjoyed by all players and spectators alike.  Next week 4th October the S1’s and S2’s are away again this time at the Aberdeen Wanderer’s club.  Check the club website for latest details