Whitecraigs V Ellon

A BATTLING performance by Whitecraigs on Saturday ensured the side's unbeaten record was maintained.
With a howling gale sweeping across the Ellon pitch it was almost impossible to play running rugby, but both teams gave it their all in the bruising encounter.

Both sides are flying high at the top of National League Division One, and although the conditions were tough it was enthralling viewing.
Head coach Jim Henderson admitted after the match that he was worried about the long trip up north, with several top stars missing, but was delighted with the outcome.
He said: “I had real fears coming up here because we were missing some key players and other who played did so through injury.

“It was a very young pack which took to the field and I was amazed at how well we defended until eventually getting a well worked try, despite playing in that horrendous wind.

“There will not be many teams come here and get what we have, so I'm delighted.”
It was a nightmare start for the young West Lodge outfit after Hamish Hunter got turned over in his own half, allowing the slick Ellon backs to run the ball in at the corner.

An impressive conversion from the touch line by stand-off Mark Ryan put the home team 7-0 up after just five minutes.
Craigs started to work their way into the match, but were soon down to 14 men when Ben Blamire and opposition hooker Michael Cox got involved off the ball and were sent to the sin-bin.

In the closing stages of the half Whitecraigs were pushing hard for a score, despite playing into the wind, and finally got their reward when Jamie Christine powered over the whitewash close to the posts.
Ally Stevenson confidently added the extras to bring the sides level.

After the break Ellon had the majority of the possession and territory but Whitecraigs' renowned defence kept them out, which included a last ditch try-saving tackle from Graeme Fisher.
And with the last kick of the game Stevenson nearly snatched a victory for the visitors when a drop goal from distance drifted agonisingly wide.

Both sides had to settle for a draw and Whitecraigs now look forward to next week when they take on Livingston in another tough away