Glasgow U18 V Exiles U18- Match Report

Glasgow U18 ;23 v Exiles U18; 21  Sunday 24th January 2010   The Glasgow U18 squad held their warm up game against their counterparts the Exiles on Sunday. The match was played at Whitecraigs RFC and many thanks are due to all the Management team and Committee for making the weekend a big success for both squads.The game had an added edge for both squads as the Scotland U18 management team were in attendance and it was a good opportunity for these young players to hold their hands up and say “pick me” The efforts of all the players could not be faulted and no quarter was given or taken as both sets of forwards got stuck into each other. There hasn’t been much Rugby played recently so it was good for the players to get a game under their belt. The early exchanges were littered with mistakes and penalties as both teams showed over eagerness at the contact area and committed too many errors and penalties for basic offside. It was an area that proved to be a problem throughout which led to limited continuity.Glasgow took an early lead from two well struck Mark Bennett penalties. However this was short lived as a defensive error saw the Exiles score a converted try. There was no more scoring in an evenly contested first half in which Glasgow dominated the scrum and Exiles had the better of the lineouts, Half time 6-7    The second half saw the game break up a bit as players began to tire and all substitutes were used to give all players a run out. Glasgow attempted to run the ball and had one or two more passes been held they would have caused problems in the Exiles defence. Glasgow regained the lead when a Connor Bickerstaff step and go saw Scott McInnes on his shoulder to score a converted try under the posts. Almost immediately the Exiles hit back with a try of their own a poor decision by Glasgow near their line saw the ball spun wide for Doug Day to touch down. A superb conversion was hit from the touchline by Struan Connor.The Glasgow Forwards then upped the pressure and from various attempts at the Exiles line Fraser Grant burrowed over from a quick tap penalty, Scott Shankie converted.Once again the Exiles hit back and scored a converted try of their own when after a serious of  dynamic drives at the Glasgow Line Mitchell Eadie crashed over. This left the Exiles two points ahead going into the final minutes. Mark Bennett made a super break from his own 22 to give Glasgow field position and when the Exiles were penalised for holding on to the ball at a ruck, Scott Shankie converted a well struck penalty for the final score and the last kick of the game. Final Score 23-21.