Deeside Perform Well But Currie Go Through.

Scottish Rugby Union National U15 Cup Semi Final, Deeside RFC v Currie RFC

Problems with Currie’s bus almost delayed their arrival for the National Cup U15 semi final with Deeside but by changing to a new bus they eventually arrived in Aboyne in good time.  Two previous attempts to play this fixture firstly on the 17th and then on the 31st of January were both foiled by the weather.  This time the snow fall earlier in the week had cleared and the pitch emerged in good condition for the sides to contest for a place at Murrayfield in the U15 final.  All of the clubs in this year’s semi-finals, with the exception of Deeside, boast senior sides in the Scottish Premier divisions, with Currie currently top of Premier 1. 

Nonetheless, at U15 the seven leagues difference between their respective 1stXV’s had no bearing whatsoever on a game that entertained from start to finish.  Currie started with most of the possession, but solid defence by Deeside and much better discipline both helped Deeside to hold off several waves of attacks. Currie moved the ball well along their back line and always looked threatening, but Deeside’s defence held until in the 23 minute Currie decided to take the direct route and a series of good individual drives and offloads to keep possession resulted in the first try of the game, duly converted.  There was no further score in the first half and the sides turned around with the score at 0-7. 

Deeside started the second half well putting good pressure on Currie, but Currie were able to ride the storm and their outside centre used his boot to good effect to push Deeside back on several occasions.  Every Deeside player was clearly giving everything they could to try to find a way through Currie’s defence, but it held tight. 

Then a game that could still have gone either way was decisively turned in Curries favour when some uncharacteristically missed tackles allowed Currie to break the line and score.  This was followed almost immediately by a score for the Currie fullback, who managed to find space around the outside of Deeside’s defence.  Only one try was converted, but at 0-19, Currie now had a commanding lead.

 Nonetheless, Deeside were in no mood to give up, and could clearly be heard encouraging each other to get right back into the game. The last fifteen minutes of the second half were undoubtedly Deeside’s best period of all.  Despite allowing Currie to score once again, for the most part Deeside had Currie pinned in their own twenty-two and the Deeside forwards were unlucky not to score from a series of line outs, scrums and penalties just five metres out.  For more than ten minutes Deeside persisted, with wave after wave of attack and eventually in the final moments of the game hooker Angus Hart drove har at the Cuurie defence and just grounded the ball on the try line.  Luke Earle-Wright converted and the final whistle blew with the score at 26 points to 7.

 A place in the semi-final is the furthest that any Deeside team has every progressed in this National competition and the team can be very proud of their achievement.  They are among the best four teams in Scotland and can promise to give any team a good game.  The team should be even more proud of their achievements in this semi-final considering that six S2’s played most of the games including this one and all gave excellent performances.   Next week sees the start of the Caledonia Cup when Deeside play Aberdeen Wanderers away, and hopefully another good cup run awaits Deeside U15.  TheCuurie game was played in a great spirit by both sides and Deeside wish Currie well in the final on the 21st February.

Deeside: Bradley Buchan, Thomas Christie, John Crilly, Kyle Dawson, Luke Earle-Wright, Angus Hart, Matthew Hillier, John Honey, Liam Hutcheon, Jack Irvine, Melvin McAskill, Sam Morris, Andrew Mullins, Angus Rennie, Garran Sutton, Alex Taylor, Angus Wallace (Captain), Elliott Wood.