Deeside Make Good Start In The Cale Cup.

Nine tries and seven conversions added up to a very convincing return to winning ways for Deeside U15 when they faced Aberdeen Wanderers in the first round of the Caledonia Cup.  The game kicked off with Wanderers dominating territory and possession but Deeside soaked up the early pressure with some solid defence with the back row trio of Ferguson, Sutton and McCance putting in key tackles. With a much changed side from last weeks National Cup semi final Deeside appeared to need a little time to settle. The solid defence, however, eventually resulted in a knock on by Wanderers and it was Deeside’s turn to have the ball.  With the ball won Deeside opted to run out the twenty two and some swift hands from Earle-Wright to Nicol and then to captain Rennie playing at outside centre was enough to provide sufficient space around the outside of the Wanderers defence.  Rennie’s pace took him the length of the field and with five minutes on the clock Deeside had their opening score. 

This clearly settled the side and they started to apply enough pressure to move the focus of the game well into the Wanderer half.  Good distribution saw the ball reaching both Hutcheon and Honey on the wings giving them both ample opportunity to show off their pace. Inside centre Nicol was next on the score sheet with an excellent break and change of pace that sliced clean through the Wanderers back line.  Rennie and Nicol then both ran in one more try a piece, although both came from hard work by the forwards at the rucks.  Buchan and Taylor playing in the second row put in some excellent drives with the ball in hand and pack leader Hart led from the front by example.   At half-time with three of the four tires converted by Earle-Wright the score stood at 0-26.  Realising that they could not afford to loose concentration Deeside came out strongly in the second half and almost immediately they scored again when Crilly joined the line from full back to create an overlap and wrong foot the defence. Deeside continued to pile on the pressure at the scrums with McAskill and Booth dominating the front row battle, and at the base Hillier at scrum half linked well with his ten, but also asked questions of the Wanderers defence with a series of darting runs. 

Right wing Fraser also put in some good darting runs, and in the best of those almost got clean past four defenders in quick succession despite only having two metres to work in.   The rest of the day was dominated by the contribution of Rennie, who seemed to be inspired by the extra responsibility of captaincy.  Although good team play was always at the core of Deeside attacks, Rennie had the power to finish them and touched down another four tries tacking his total to six.  Wanderers only score came late in the game when they elected to kick a penalty giving a final score of 3-59. This was a another good team performance by Deeside and they can now look forward to next weeks home game when they will meet Highland in the next round of the Caledonia cup.   New players are always welcome. See the club website for the latest details and news.