Deeside Through To Caledonia Semi-Final

Another excellent team performance from Deeside U15 sees them through to their second cup semi-final this year.   Having convincingly beat Wanderers in the previous round Deeside lined up for a quarter final against the Highland club from Inverness.  The snow covered pitches in Aboyne and Banchory determined that game was played at Mackie’s Redclock ground in Stonehaven, but despite giving the initial feeling of an away fixture the Deesider’s soon settled into a comfortable pattern, taking the game to Highland right from the kick-off.   The first score was just reward for Christie whose constant harassing of the Highland defence and turning over of ball at the rucks and mauls was evident right throughout the game. Standoff Earle -Wright slotted the conversion from long range. 

The next score came when Highland were penalised for offside well within Earle-Wright’s range and three more points were added.   Deeside dominated almost all the rest of the first half with Christie adding a second try, followed by another from lock Alex Taylor with a characteristic powerful drive for the line.  Highland rallied late in the half and were justly rewarded with a try when some poor control at the ruck by Deeside and some good counter rucking by Highland saw the ball spill out quickly only to be pounced on by Highland who then set up a series of rucks to make the line.  Deeside, however, had the last word of the half when after spinning the ball quickly wide Angus Rennie chipped ahead, Highland fumbled under pressure from wing John McGowan and Rennie hacked on to touch down the final score of the half.  At 31:5, it was clear that Deeside were well in control.  Highland, however, came out more determined in the second half and the game changed to much more of a forward battle.  Once again Highland were rewarded with a drive over form a ruck, the referee judging the ball grounded despite the Deeside appeals for held up in goal. 

A spate of injuries resulted in some forced positional changed with Christie out of the scrum and into the centre where his pace resulted in an interception try under the posts.  Highland, weren’t beaten yet and once again scored from a series of driving mauls and rucks, though again Deeside appealed, this time for a knock on that was clearly missed by the referee.   Deeside has the last word when injured scrum half Hillier returned to field after treatment and dummied from a ruck two metres out to wrong foot the defence for a try.  All of Deeside’s tries were converted to give the final score 45: 15.  This was a well deserved win for Deeside, who were unlucky to miss out on the league pole position when they met Highland in away last November going down 15:10 and clearly very determined this time to get a win.

  A big improvement in defence made all the difference this time along with some new options in attack.  Many thanks to Mackie RFC for making their pitch and facilities available in order to allow this game to go ahead. This win takes Deeside in the semi-final of the Caledonia cup which will be played at home this Sunday 14th March against Dundee Eagles, see the club website for the latest details.  Deeside:  Buchan, Christie, Crilly, Dargie, Earle-Wright, Ferguson,  Hart,  Hillier, Hendry, Hutcheon, Irvine, McAskill, McGowan, Morris, Rennie, Sutton, Taylor, Wallace, Wood.