Gael Force Overpowered By Leinster

Gael Force battled bravely at Bridgehaugh, but were overpowered by a lively Leinster side and, despite leading 10-7 at half-time, ended up losing 33-22.

The Force’s man of the match, Ross Samson was taken off with an arm injury in the second half to heighten the home side’s sense of disappointment.

But overall, in terms of aiding the squad’s collective rugby education, it was a productive evening and an entertaining spectacle with nine tries served up between both teams.

Leinster deservedly took the lead when hooker Tom Sexton powered over from close range with stand-off Ian Madigan adding the conversion.


The visitors cranked up the pressure even further and seemed destined to extend their lead, but Gael Force’s young side – with an average age of just over 21 – refused to buckle.

Inspired by the lively Samson, Gael Force fought back and scored a well-worked try in the corner through Michael Doneghan.

Stand-off Gregor Hunter narrowly missed the conversion, but Gael Force seemed to be in the ascendancy and their confidence was visibly buoyed.

Gael Force followed that up with another try arriving courtesy of wing Tom Bury on the 38-minute mark to ensure the home side headed into the half-time break with a three point lead.

But Leinster responded almost immediately in the second half and on 47 minutes, Shane Monahan prised open the defence to score and Madigan added the extras.

Then on 53 minutes, the powerful Leo Auva’a scored after a period of concerted pressure from Leinster to extend the visitors lead to nine points.

Samson then conjured up a try – darting over from close range – to put Gael Force back in touching distance of the away side and setting up an exciting final 20 minutes.

But Leinster stepped it up a gear and blew Gael Force away in the process with replacement Brian Kingston and Monahan doing the damage.

Gael Force’s last score was the final act of the game when flanker Stefan Dreyer made possession count and went over in the corner.

Replacement stand-off Craig Jackson nailed the resultant conversion attempt and the referee brought the curtain down on an open match of attacking rugby.