Broughton Wrfc

Broughton Women warmed up for their first ever ‘Competitive Match’ in the Sarah Beaney Cup with a 46-0 victory against Northwich WRFC.
On a bright day at Wardie, Broughton played down the slope in a match played in 3 x 20 minute periods and it took 5 minutes before the home side opened the scoring.
A couple of penalties in quick succession awarded by Referee Beaton saw Northwich camped on their own try line and when Morgan tapped the ball to Smith, the Prop bulldozed her way through the visiting No.8 to score. 5-0

A certain Northwich try looked on the cards when a stray Cruickshank pass was intercepted however a lack of sleep combined with excessive alcohol from their opening tour night in Edinburgh saw the breakaway Centre cut-off from scoring by Walls who showed great speed to track back.

At the end of Period 1, it was all to play for at 5-0 as both teams looked to play as much free flowing rugby as could be allowed.

Broughton doubled their lead shortly after the restart when Morgan and Smith were both instrumental in making great ground by using their strength to burst up through the heart of the Northwich defence. Smith recycled out to scrum-half Heard and the quick thinking Selkirk lass popped the ball to Soiluva for the Fin to finish in the corner.

The biggest cheer of the afternoon came when Gaskell slotted over a tricky conversion from the touchline. 12-0.

A touch of controversy surrounded Broughton’s next score. With the Northwich girls claiming a knock-on, Walls decided to ‘play the whistle’ and whilst the tourists stopped awaiting the Ref to call play back, the Irishwomen raced in for a try. Gaskell converted from bang in front 19-0.

With the visitors still clearly unhappy with the previous incident, they were given further food for thought from the restart when Gaskell put through a great kick towards the 22. The hard surface clearly helped her when the ball bounced nicely into her hands and when she was brought to ground with 5 metres to go, Heard was on hand to receive the pass and went in for a try. 24-0.

Soiluva set up a try at the end of Period 2 as she hugged the touchline and made good hard yards before starting the move across the pitch through the backs before Walls came in on the angle to out-fox the English defence and run in for a great score. 29-0.

A bit of a scramble 2 minutes into the third period saw Greer at the end of a Broughton move in the bottom corner to record the home team’s 6th try of the afternoon. 34-0.

As the game became fragmented and the visitors clearly looking forward to getting back to the bar and continue their true reason for a weekend in Edinburgh, Captain McFarlane raced in for a score under the post which Gaskell duly converted. 41-0.

It was all over shortly after when Walls scored her second of the afternoon with another breakaway try to round of a useful warm up exercise ahead of the Cup game.

Final Score 46-0.

For more information check out