Deeside U15'S Edge Out Mackie

Deeside under 15 rugby team travelled to Stonehaven on Sunday 14th November where the weather was dry but found conditions underfoot very wet from the previous days rain. Deeside U15s had been hit by injuries, illness and international call-ups (well, watching Scotland at Murrayfield) so were reduced to the barebones of a team with Jack Christie and Toby Wallace stepping up from junior rugby to make their debuts and so just managed a full 15 but this meant there were no substitutes. From the kick off, it was a hard battle in very soft conditions where the forwards from both sides were determined to command control in the centre of the park. After some strong drives by both teams it was Mackie that managed to capitalise after 10 minutes by breaking close to Deesides 22 and running in a try on the wing.
Deeside fought back hard and started to take command of the scrums and produced some excellent play from the line-outs. The game was finely balanced for some time but Deeside managed an excellent drive on the left by the forwards where Adam Thomson made it over the line to score Deeside’s equaliser. From that point on Deeside managed to play some excellent open rugby moving the ball wide but Mackie were strong managing to hold their visitors out of the try area. The battle between the forwards was taken into each others twenty two on a number of occasions but both teams managed to hold back the attacks.
The wet conditions were tiring for Deeside especially without the benefit of substitutes to bring fresh legs and strength to the pack and Mackie were beginning to look as if they might just have the edge to take the match. Deeside were producing some excellent creative play from the backs but were unable to get past the Mackie defence. But as the game moved towards its closing stages, Deeside managed to find some extra determination and the forwards applied some great pressure drawing more of Mackie's players in to the battle for centre field domination. Following a very effective drive by the forwards the ball was fed wide to Cameron Wood on the wing and Struan Gordon made himself available by looping behind Wood to create the overlap and take the pass to go over for a Deeside Try in the left corner.
Deeside were reduced to 14 players when Liam Hutcheon was ordered off for a high tackle 10 minutes from the end and Deeside had to dig deep to hold back the pressure from the Mackie players determined to level the score again. The match was finely balanced from beginning to end but the final whistle blew giving Deeside a much deserved 10 - 5 victory and the Deeside players all erupted into a spontaneous cheer knowing that this was one of their toughest but most satisfying victories that they have achieved.
Deeside: Jack Christie, Toby Wallace, Adam Thomson, Liam  Hutcheon, Cameron Wood, Connor Bull, Tyler Booth, William Underwood, John Crilly, Alexander Taylor, Struan Gordon, Elliot Wood, Rafe Welsh, Andrew  Hardman, Garran Sutton