Deeside U15 Progress In Cale Cup

Aberdeen Wanderers U15 currently sit in the top position of the Caledonia NE U15 league having lost only one game this season so that Deesides Caledonia Cup fixture, drawn away at Wanderer’s Groats Road ground, was clearly going to be a tough game.  Right from the start Deeside made their intentions clear and had the majority of the possession and best field position.  Wanderers defence however was hard to breach and every time Deeside looked to have broken through the gain line Wanderers responded with excellent cover tackles.  With 20 minutes played it looked like Deeside would take fisrt points when captain John Crilly elected to kick at goal form a penalty 35 m out, but unfortunately the ball went wide.

Eventually with 24 minutes of the 30 minute half played, the break came when some quickly recycled ruck ball was passed swiftly through the centre pairing of John Crilly and Liam Hutcheon to Duncan Harle running a good angle from full back and Harle finished under the posts.  John Crilly converted to make the score a tense 0:7.  The next 6 minutes of the half were probably Wanderers best of the half. With only 2 minutes of the half remaining Wanders fast back line eventually responded.  The move started with pressure on a Deeside scrum resulting in a turnover, Wanderers spread the ball wide quickly and their winger had the legs needed to make a score in the corner.  Unconverted the half time score was 5:7.

Deeside started the second half with the same determination that they had started the first and with only 4 minutes played a determined attack forced Wanderers to defend just 5 metres from their try line.   Matthew Hillier was unlucky not to score using the ball quickly from the base of the ensuing ruck, the cover tacklers just managing to deny him the space on the blind side.  Not to be denied, a  superb steal of Wanderers ball at the following 5m line out by flanker Angus McCance, and a quick driving maul by the pack resulted in a second try for Deeside scored by McCance.  For most of the second half Deeside once again had most of the possession and wanderers didn’t really seem to become as determined as Deeside until there were only less than 10 minutes of the game remaining.  Apearing to have lost confidence on their back line Wanderers tried to attack more through their forwards, but Deeside managed to hold the pressure.  Eventually, Deeside regained possession and kicked to relive the pressure on their line.  Time ran out for Wanderers and Deeside recorded a well deserved win that takes them on to the quarter finals of the U15 Caledonia Cup.

Deeside 15: James Long, Jamie Hillier, Adam Thomson, Liam  Hutcheon, Connor Bull, Angus  McCance, Tyler Booth, Andrew  Mullins,  John Crilly, Alexander Taylor, Struan Gordon, Elliot Wood, Matthew Hillier, Rafe Welsh, Duncan Harle, Andrew  Hardman, Garran Sutton.