Peebles V Selkirk

Peebles Outclassed
Peebles 17 - Selkirk 50
Stuart Paton at the Gytes
18 March 2011

Friday at the Gytes saw the end of Premiership League 2 action and the beginning of Premier 2 for Selkirk. Unfortunately, for the Gytes faithful, this was to be a very one sided game. After a bright first five minutes, Peebles were simply outmuscled, outfought, and outclassed by a far fitter, faster, and rugby wizened team with Premier 1 experience.

Peebles started with a few youngsters on show including Greg McConnell on the wing, Kenny Clyde in the pack and Matt Carryer as hooker. Out for various reasons were Aitken, Rhino, Jacko, Neil Hogarth, and Drew Moore to name a few. David Anderson took over at 9 from Drew with Allan Warnock in at 7 for Jacko and Graham Hogarth at 6

Selkirk were not at full strength either with the most noticeable absentee being Fraser Harkness who has recently been called up for Scotland 7's duties

The kick off from Peebles resulted in the ball going straight out and a scrum on the centre . Peebles then kicked to touch from a penalty after Selkirk were penalised for coming in at the side of the maul. Peebles then lost their own lineout. Peebles scored a penalty after Selkirk were penalised to take a 3 nil lead. Peebles then made good ground and Warnock missed a drop goal attempt. Pees continued going forward at the restart with some good rucking and mauling. Then Selkirk swept forward, having finally awoken with some fine rucking and passing only for the try to be disallowed. A scrum 5 was awarded and Darren Clapperton swept in for David Cassidy to convert and give Selkirk a 7-3 lead

Selkirk then took a further lead after Donald Anderson went to ground and was turned over. The fine move was ended by a Godsmark try converted by Cassidy for a 3-12 lead. Following this the game became a tad scrappy for a while, though Peebles through Moffat and Paton did keep trying to make progress.

Then Selkirk pressed forward and from a retaken scrum, Darren Clapperton nipped in for Cassidy to again convert and make it 3-19 to Selkirk. Their tails up Selkirk then sliced through Peebles for Forrest to score and Cassidy again converted. The half ended Peebles 3, Selkirk 26

Clinch came on for Pees in the second half, but not long in Peebles looked all over the place. Selkirk’s speed of play and guile in the rucks and mauls had Peebles rocking and reeling. Reece Wilson then replaced Hogarth and young Reece went on to have a fine game. Davey P romped in for Peebles and Warnock converted to make it 10-26, and Peebles introduced Martin Clyde. Cassidy then converted a penalty for Selkirk followed by a try for Aglen, which was also converted to make it 10-36

Peebles came back and from a rolling maul an unidentified Peebles player flopped over to claw some way back. Warnock converted and it was 17-36

What followed thereafter was a display of running rugby by the dominant Selkirk team. Another try followed which was converted by the boot of Cassidy. The Selkirk 5 Willet was sin binned for persistent infringing and preventing a quick penalty being taken. However Godsmark was able to sweep over again and the conversion by Cassidy swept in off the post to make it 50-17 to Selkirk.

Cassidy and Godsmark were most impressive and, ably supported by the galloping Clapperton. Poor Peebles looked tired, and not nearly as fit as their counterparts. However we must strive to play high octane rugby at the pace Selkirk showed in order to make progress.


1 Andrew Brown
11 Greg McConnell
2 Matt Carryer
12 Adam Moffat
3 Adam Clark
13 Dave McLean
4 David Harvey
14 Dale Clancy
5 Kenny Clyde
15 Donald Anderson
6 Alan Warnock
16 Rhys Wilson
7 Graham Hogarth
17 Steve Irvine
8 David Paton
18 Martin Clyde
9 David Anderson
19 Ruraidh Clinch
10 Neil Warnock