Ross-Sutherland Cruise To Victory Over Aberdeenshire 2Nds

Ross – Sutherland RFC vs. Aberdeenshire 2nds
RBS Caledonia Regional League Div 2 North
10th September 2011
38 - 0

Ross-Sutherland cruised to victory in their second league game of the season against Aberdeenshire 2nds to continue their impressive start to the season.
Ross were guilty of a slow start against Lochaber last week, but this was certainly not the case this week, with an explosive start from the backs forcing a penalty in the opening minutes. Stuart Mack failed with the kick, as the score remained 0-0. However, it was not long until the Ross supporters had something to cheer, with continuous pressure resulting in a try from centre Kris Thomas, who had a fine afternoon in midfield. Mack failed to convert from a difficult angle. As Ross moved into a 5-0 lead.
Ross continued to heap pressure on the visitors, as new streamlined prop Scott Fraser put a huge hit on the Aberdeenshire full back to force a scrum on the five. The subsequent scrum resulted in no.8 Gerry Rosie crossing through the posts for his first of the afternoon, Mack converted to put the stags into a 12-0 lead. This was soon followed by try from flying winger Mike Gordon as forwards and backs linked well to put the Ardross man in under the posts. Mack had little trouble with the conversion to put Ross into a 19-0 lead with only 20 minutes on the clock.
The Ross scrum was proving particularly effective, with Ross hooker Murray Kennedy winning four against the head, heaping the pressure on Aberdeenshire. Who were struggling to contain the Stags rampant pack. Gerry Joyce was playing with fire in the belly and it was not long before he crossed the line for his second of the match, after a succession of well worked phases of play allowed him to cross the line and put the Stags into a 24-0 lead, the conversion was missed by Mack as the half was drawn to a close.
The second half began in the same fashion as first with Ross crossing the line through Scott Munro, who was making a return from a long-term wrist injury. This was then converted by Stuart Mack to put the stags into a commanding 31-0 lead.
The match then became an all together different affair, the fizz was taking out of the game after it was agreed to have uncontested scrums. The powerful Ross forwards had been dominating up front; this had clearly taking its toll on the Aberdeenshire pack that had lost too many men to injury. Frustration in the match was clearly taking its toll with Ross starting to give away penalties. The loss of Stuart Mack after gaining a concussion when he came of second best in an altercation with one of the biggest man on the Aberdeenshire team was another blow to the home side.
However, there was one moment to celebrate in the second half and that was the try of young full-back Ben Parkes, who had a majestic weaving run from inside his own half to cross the line for a thoroughly deserved try under the posts. This was then converted by Captain David Kennedy, who had taken over kicking duties to make the score 38-0 to Ross-sutherland.
Speaking after the match Rob Parkes said: ‘It was great to get another home win and keep a clean sheet. Our defence was tremendous today, so I was pleased with that. But, next week’s match away to Moray will be very tough; they are a good side with a big pack and should make it very difficult for us. Stu Mack’s injury is a concern, but hopefully we will have cover with young scrum half Johnny Mann returning to the squad.’
The Ross-Sutherland ‘Wildcats’ were also in action this past Saturday away to Strathspey. It was a spirited performance from Ross who played with 12 men all game but it was to be to big an ask with a 54 points to nil loss.
Ross-Sutherland First XV
1. S. Fraser 2. M. Kennedy 3. S. McPherson 4. K. Smith 5. J. Davidson 6. D. Clark 7. R. Waugh 8. G. Rosie 9. S. Mack 10. D. Kennedy (Capt.) 11. M. Gordon 12. J. Eaglesham 13. K. Thomas 14. E. Crawford 15. B. Parks. Subs. A. Ansbro, S. McTaggart, S. Munro, R. Mellis, A. Munro