High Winds In Highland Game

Five tries in the first half playing with a stiff breeze was enough to seal the win for Deeside U16 against Highland in their Premier league encounter at Woodend.  The wind was clearly going to be a big factor in this game although Deeside looke like they were not going to take full advantage of it in the very early exchanges, preferring to try a running game.   Eventually, a good kick from stand-off Struan Gordon moved play well into the Highland half, and within a minute No 8 Matthew Gordon had crossed the line for Deeside’s first try with a good break from the back of the scrum.  Deeside’s confidence rose and with only a further four minutes played some good interplay between forwards and backs saw Mathew Gordon cross the line for his second try.   Deeside began to dominate the forward battle with Garran Sutton’s great work rate and solid tackling a key ingredient.  Line-outs were also secured well by Will Underwood who also disrupted or stole Highland’s lineout ball on several occasions.  In the scrum, Peter Lamont gave a solid performance and also showed some good improvement in positional awareness to join in Deeside’s short ball game.  Most of the rest of the first half was played in the Highland half and Deeside’s forwards added two more tries, one for Captain Dan Sutton driving over from close range, and one for Andrew Mullins who powered his way through several tacklers to make the line, the move being started by Liam Hutcheon and involving Tswai Mweemba.  The last try of the half went to inside center John Crilly, who added the conversion as he had done for three out of the previous four tries.    This was the last score of the half, infact the last score of the game for Deeside. Although with a better pattern to their game Deeside could have, and should have, crossed the line on three or four more occasions when good quality possession from only meters out was squandered by rushing the play and failing to organise the attack.
Playing into the wind in the second half Deeside got off to a much slower start.  Indeed early pressure from Highland resulted in their first and only try when their No 8. drove over from close range after a series of silly penalties were conceded by Deeside.  Not long afterwards, the Highland  No 8 was unluckily not to be awarded another try when the referee blew for held up in goal.  For most of the rest of the game Highland launched most of the attacking play, but Deeside’s defence held firm and most of the game was played in midfield.  In the final moments Deeside had worked the play back into the Highland 22 and a certain try scoring opportunity was missed once again by holding on to the ball when one more pass would have resulted in a score.  The final score was 33:5 and Deeside will pleased with what was certainly a convincing win and very good team performance although tactical awareness and team play are areas that still need hard work in training.  Deeside: Liam Hutcheon, James Long, John Crilly, Will Underwood, Rafe Welsh, Struan Gordon, Matthew Hillier, Peter Lamont, Tyler Booth, Dan Sutton, Andrew Mullins, Alex Taylor, Elliot Wood, Matthew Gordon, Garran Sutton, Andrew Hardman, Alex Fyfe, Connor Bull, Tswai Mweemba, Adam Thomson.