Oban Lorne 0-19 Wigtownshire

Oban Lorne welcomed Wigtownshire to Glencruitten last Saturday looking for a much needed win in the battle against relegation. Oban were in confident mood after they had beaten their visitors 13-3 in Stranraer earlier in the season and were boasting a squad of 20 players for the game including a welcome return from injury for Robin MacQueen.

With the sun shining over Glencruitten it was the away side who took control of the game from the start. Wigtownshire found themselves with a huge period of pressure in the Oban 22 for around the first 20 minutes of the game. Oban who were becoming increasingly indiscipline at the breakdown and who were also under pressure at the scrum and lineout stood firm but eventually crumbled under the relentless pressure to concede the first try of the afternoon.

Oban struggled to get into the Wigtownshire half for the whole of the opening 40 minutes and were constantly under pressure from a well organised defence. The away side stretched their lead around 30 minutes into the game with an almost identical try to their first. Aided by a well oiled lineout and a series of pick and go’s from the rucks they stretched the score to 12-0.

The home side came out in the second half a much better team and looking like narrowing the score on a couple of occasions. Again the home side were undone by a poor set piece and were also down to 14 men for 10 minutes when Angus MacCallum was yellow carded for an off the ball incident. Oban also missed two kickable penalty attempts that would have narrowed the score to 12-6.

The game was halted after 60 minutes after a neck injury to one of the Wigtownshire forwards Eddie Stevenson and was restarted around 15 minutes later.

Oban were on top for the remaining time in the game but couldn’t break through the away defence. Wigtownshire put the result beyond doubt with a late breakaway try to give a final score of 19-0 in their favour.

Oban Lorne now have to win at least one of their remaining two fixtures, away to Strathaven next week and then the following weekend away to Lenzie. The club would like to thank everyone who turned up to support on Saturday, Wigtownshire RFC for  making the long travel, and of course the ambulance service who provided assistance on the day. The best wishes of everyone at the club also go to Eddie Stevenson who was  injured during the game.

Oban Lorne travel to take on Strathaven next Saturday, KO 3pm
Oban Lorne:
M. Downie, R. MacQueen, M. Flynn, J. MacMillan, L. MacLachlan, S. Smith, A. MacDougall, C. Louw, C. Wright, A. MacCallum, C. Ferris, G. MacEwan, C. Smith, A. Wright, C. MacLachlan.

D. Williams, A. Doak, R. Wright, R. Jackson