Scarlets (8) 14 - 13 (10) Edinurgh

Sean Cox takes the contactEdinburgh Rugby's losing run continued in agonising fashion when, for the second time this season, they were edged by a single point by the Scarlets, their seventh loss this season within a single score (14-13).

The hosts broke into an early lead when wing Andy Fenby burst onto an inside ball, but the boot of stand-off Harry Leonard and a fine try from Dougie Fife captured the lead for Edinburgh Rugby.

In the second-half Scarlets stand-off Aled Thomas and his replacement Owen Williams had poor nights from the tee, registering one from four to edge closer.

Then, on the 60th minute, a team accumulated yellow card for Fife paved the way for the Welshmen's resurgence, Williams redeeming himself with a simple penalty in front of the posts to give the Scarlets the narrowest of wins.

The match opened as massive arm wrestle in midfield, with both sides competing hard at the breakdown and turning over possession, while the pressure brought errors to both sides.

Scarlets then opened the scoring when Thomas struck the first points of the game with a penalty after the Murrayfield men were penalised for offside inside their own 22.

Scarlets didn't have to wait long for their first try of the evening either as wing Fenby burst through midfield as a missed tackle opened the door for his arcing run to dot down the unconverted effort at the far-side corner flag.

A mistake from Thomas off the restart allowed Edinburgh build pressure from scrum time, David Denton battering his way to, but just not over, the try line.

The visitors then continued to press, yielding a penalty, which Leonard put between the posts (8-3).

Just three minutes later Edinburgh were back in the Scarlets 22 and once again coming away with points.

Leonard shifted quick ball to centre Ben Atiga who did well under pressure to move the ball on. Leonard then rejoined the move as they flooded left and spun wide to Fife to dive over unchallenged.

Leonard added the extras on the angle to put his team in the lead at the interval.

Half-time: Scarlets 8-10 Edinburgh Rugby

Scarlets suffered a poor start to the second-half as replacement scrum half Gareth Davies saw his kick charged down by Edinburgh scrum-half Richie Rees in his own 22, forcing the home side to infringe in front of their posts, which Leonard punished with a penalty (8-14).

Ten minutes later Denton was penalised for offside, allowing Thomas a simple penalty kick to drag Scarlets back into the game.

After replacing Thomas, Williams missed with his first shot at goal, the ball struck the woodwork from distance after Leonard was penalised at the breakdown.

The Scarlets were again frustrated by Edinburgh's single minded-grit and determination in defence as Jonathan Edwards was held up over the try line.

Sadly the visitors didn't learn from their indiscipline at the breakdown and, after persistently offending as a team; Fife was sent to the bin.

For seven of the ten man-advantage-minutes, Edinburgh held on, but another defensive infringement allowed of Williams to land three points to nudge the home side 14-13 in front, with three minutes left of the sin bin and 13 minutes left to play.

It was then that the match began to open up, as both sides ploughed into each other in search of a decisive score.

A late flurry from Edinburgh had the fans on their feet as open-side Hamish Watson broke free but, without support their in time, the yards were cancelled out as he was penalised for holding on as the scrambling Scarlets defence swarmed.

Scarlets then collected the ball and put in into the stands to seal the win.

Full-time: Scarlets (8) 14-13 (10) Edinburgh Rugby

Scarlets: 15 Liam Williams; 14 Nick Reynolds, 13 Gareth Maule, 12 Adam Warren, 11 Andy Fenby, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Johan Synman, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Johnathan Edwards, 8 Rob McCusker CAPTAIN.
Replacements: Matthew Rees on for Emyr Phillips (52'), Rhodri Jones for Phil John (77'), Deacon Manu on for Samson Lee (68'), Sione Timani on for Jake Ball (62'), Kieran Murphy, Gareth Davies for Aled Davies (33'), Owen Williams on for Aled Thomas (52'), Kristian Phillips.

Edinburgh Rugby: 15 Greig Tonks; 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Ben Cairns, 12 Ben Atiga, 11 Lee Jones; 10 Harry Leonard, 9 Richie Rees; 1 Allan Jacobsen, 2 Steven Lawrie, 3 Willem Nel, 4 Perry Parker, 5 Sean Cox CAPTAIN, 6 Stuart McInally, 7 Hamish Watson, 8 David Denton.
Substitutes: 16 Andy Titterrel for Lawrie (70'), 17 John Yapp for Jacobsen (64'), 18 Alex Allan, 19 Robert McAlpine on for Parker (46'), 20 Netani Talei, 21 Chris Leck for Rees (78'), 22 Piers Francis, 23 Tom Brown for Ben Cairns (64').

Man of the match: Aaron Shingler"
Referee: Giuseppe Vivarini