Brumbies beat the Lions in Canberra

The Brumbies became the first provincial team to beat the British & Irish Lions since Northern Transvaal triumphed 35-30 on 7 June, 1997, as they took the 2013 tourists' unbeaten record at Canberra Stadium, beating them 14-12.

The Lions had escaped by the sink of their teeth in Canberra in 2001, winning 30-28 having trailed by 12 points at the break, and everyone was predicting another tight squeeze against Australia's top Super Rugby side. And that's exactly how it worked out in a tense, territory dominated first-half.

There were difficulties at the line-out throughout the first half for the Lions, who had two calls for not straight as well as two lost throws, and after losing the first one the Brumbies used the possession to ultimately build enough pressure to allow centre Tevita Kuidrani to shove aside Wade and twist inside Rob Kearney to score wide out on the left.

Ian Prior's conversion attempt hit an upright, but it was only the second time on tour that the tourists had been behind. Stuart Hogg had the chance to cut the gap midway through the half, but his penalty shot rebounded off the left upright and the chance went begging.

It wasn't a good 40 minutes for the goalkickers of either side because Jesse Mogg was wide, albeit from 55 metres, and hen Prior missed with a second penalty shot for the home side in the space of seven minutes.

Mogg then broke the streak with a successful shot from 45 metres to give the home side an 8-0 lead, but the Lions produced their best passage of play from the restart, keeping the ball after Wade had leapt high to regain the ball, and they enticed Brumbies skipper Peter Kimlin to go over the top at a ruck on the edge of his 22 and Hogg got the Lions off the mark with the last kick of the half.

Brumbies stretch their lead

Mogg hit the mark and was on target again 10 minutes later when Ryan Grant was penalised for pulling a Brumbies forward out of a rolling maul. Mogg stretched the lead to 14-3 with his third goal and the Lions were in deep trouble.

The eight point deficit was cut in the 57th minute by Hogg's second kick of the game, but the Scottish outside half then hit the upright from 45 metres on the hour. Owen Farrell took over the No 10 role after that kick and moments after he had come on, along with Connor Murray and Geoff Parling, he was able to cut the gap to five points with a 25 metre penalty.

Another Farrell penalty from nearly 50 metres with eight minutes to go threw rthe result back into the melting pot and the reinvigorated Lions played their best rugby in the closing quarter.

But it was the home side who hung on to notch a famous victory - the first by an Australian provincial team over the Lions since Queensland in 1971 - and it means the Lions will go into the first Test in Brisbane against the Qantas Wallabies on Saturday with the first blemish on their record.