Boroughmuir firmly onto a winning streak after Dundee HSFP victory

With both Boroughmuir and Dundee HSFP hoping to make a quick return to the top flight of Scottish club rugby, it was the Edinburgh side that took another step in the right direction today defeating their northern opponents 37-17 at Meggetland.

Boroughmuir v Dundee - RBS National League - 2Head coach of Boroughmuir Bruce Aitchison was unsurprisingly upbeat speaking after the game.

“I’m absolutely delighted, Dundee are a good side in a similar position to us in that new broom, new coaches, players left and players arrived.

“I thought our defense was absolutely spot on and we supported the ball carrier better than we have all year.

“We played for the whole 80 minutes with a huge amount of structure, a huge amount of passion.

“The belief in the squad just goes up and up after winning, and that’s a good habit to have, and a good habit to keep.”

In the RBS Premiership there were victories for Heriot’s (18-13 v Stirling County), Ayr (29-0 v Currie), Melrose (29-27 v Glasgow Hawks), Gala (33-21 v Aberdeen Grammar) and Hawick (34-22 v Edinburgh Accies) this afternoon. Hawick won back the Bill McLaren Shield.  

Back in the RBS National League and at Meggetland, the first half was predictably captivating, with both sides coming into the match undefeated. Boroughmuir’s backs combined to score the only try of the half whilst the boot of Bryce Hosie kept the Dundee side in it, going in 13-12 at the break.

The home side were too good in the second half, and after capitalising on a man advantage, they ran away with a convincing bonus point victory.

Dundee, were first to feature on the scoreboard, as some early pressure straight from the kick-off brought them a penalty and a chance at goal which full-back Hosie duly knocked over for a 0-3 lead.

Boroughmuir v Dundee - RBS National LeagueThe lead didn’t last long as Boroughmuir immediately hit back with the simplest of tries from centre Malcolm Clapperton.

Fly-half David Reekie made the initial break as he cut through the Dundee defense, and with Clapperton running a good support line, the pair left the full-back for dead and crossed under the posts.

Creator of the try, Reekie then added the extras with an easy conversion to make it 7-3.

Muir then started to hit their stride. After recovering the ball from their own 22-metre dropout, they passed the ball wide to winger Robert Cairns who streaked down the wing and deep into the Dundee half.

In the following phases, Dundee were pinged at the breakdown and Reekie capitalised, adding another three points to push the score to 10-3 on the 20 minute mark.

Despite the overwhelming home support, Dundee rallied and after stringing together some phases of strong forward play, the visitors were awarded two penalties which were both kicked by Bryce Hosie, closing the scores to 10-9.

Before the break there was still time for both kickers to continue their 100% record, adding another three points each, and Dundee flanker, Alex Wright was placed in the sinbin for an infringement in contact, bringing a captivating first-half to a close at 13-12.

As the sides came out for the second half, Boroughmuir wasted no time in making their man advantage pay.

Reekie got the chance to send another penalty sailing through the posts and only minutes later was again asking for the kicking tee to add the extras to a fantastic try for the home side.

Gathering the ball in his own half, ‘Muir scrum-half Sam Johnson passed wide to centre Sean Cox who made his way into the Dundee 22 before slipping the ball to Jordan Edmunds to crash over in the corner.

As Dundee returned to full complement, they found themselves 23-12 down and facing an uphill battle.

The visitors did get their chance to narrow the deficit when Boroughmuir’s Joni Hare was sent to the bin, and winger Callum Bowie made use of an overlap to score in the corner, pulling the scores back to 23-17.

It was however, to be Boroughmuir’s day.

Their back play, which was so threatening throughout the 80 minutes, continued to pose problems for the Dundee defense.

Replacement, Thomas Docherty found himself at the front of a queue of players lining up to cross the line after good play by the forwards near the opposite touchline and in a similar fashion, Craig Marshal went over for a try in the other corner after an exceptional tip pass from Clapperton to give the home side a bonus point try.

David Reekie who was superb all day, added the extras to make the final score 37-17 and three wins from three for Boroughmuir. 

Boroughmuir team: Ed Farquharson; Robert Cairns, Alex Cox,  Malcolm Clapperton,  Jordan Edmunds; David Reekie, Sam Johnson; Robbie Wilson, Cal Davies, Angus Wallace, Will Kay, Adam Best, Joni Hare, Neil Rodger and Andrew Rose.

Replacements: Callum Taylor, Jonny Latta, Thomas Docherty, Craig Marshall and Mark Hare.

Dundee HSFP team: Bryce Hosie; Ross Lemon, Tim McKavanagh, Lyndsey Graham, Callum Bowie; Jason Stewart, Alan Dymock; Steven Longwell, Darrel Russell, Alan Brown, Matthew Harland, Chris Cumming, Alex Wright, Danny Levison and Richie McIver.

Replacements: Scott Burnett, Anthony Kent, Hamish Livingston, Adam Wood and Stuart Barlow

Referee: Iain Heard