Scotland 0-28 South Africa

It was a disappointing and frustrating afternoon for Scotland at Murrayfield as South Africa ran out 28-0 winners in the second viagogo Autumn Test.Sean Maitland

After defeating Japan 42-17 last weekend the Scots went into the clash full of confidence but it was South Africa who struck early with a try after just four minutes.

From an early penalty Lambie was rewarded for his decision to kick for touch rather than accept a simple three points.

Duane Vermeulen won the line-out cleanly and Willem Alberts pushed over the Scottish line.

Pat Lambie kicked the conversion from out wide to make it 7-0 to the visitors.

It was relentless pressure from the Springboks and after Tommy Seymour was penalised for taking out Bryan Habana a penalty by Pat Lambie sailed wide of the posts.

JP Pietersen then powered into the Scotland half skipping several tackles on the way but the Scots defence held firm with some big tackles going in to keep the Springboks out. Such sterling defence when Scotland had been under the cosh hinted at better for the home team but it was not to be.

Scotland went through the phases trying to find a way to get themselves back into the game but then two tries in the space of two minutes from South Africa all but ended the contest.

After Le Roux intercepted a wayward Ruaridh Jackson pass he sped unopposed the length of the field to score under the posts.

Almost immediately after the re-start, following Lambie's conversion, the try scorer turned provider.

It all started with a good break by Le Roux who put a lovely chip through for Pietersen to slide over the try line and celebrate his 50th cap in style.

Lambie then converted once more to make it 21-0 after just 33 minutes, which is how it stayed until half-time.

Half-time: Scotland 0-21 South Africa

Both teams had plenty of possesion in the early stages of the second-half but it was South Africa who made it count after 52 minutes.

Sean LamontA carbon copy of the opening try extended the Springboks' lead as Coenie Oosthuizen emerged from a huddle that pushed across the line following a line-out.

The home crowd had something to cheer when second-19-year-old Jonny Gray came on for the final 20 minutes to become the youngest Scottish forward to be capped since Hamish Inglis in 1951.

Scotland were camped in the Springboks' half for the final quarter as they looked for a try but Pietersen thwarted Dave Denton with a superb tackle which forced him into touch.

In the dying stages of the game Max Evans looked like he could have been over after Duncan Weir put him in with a lovely chip to the corner but Bryon Habana's fingertips prevented the consolation try.

Despite all their efforts Scotland were unable to cross the witewash and South Africa were victorious for the eighth time in 2013 - with their only two defeats coming at the hands of the All Blacks.

Scotland head coach Scott Johnson said: "South Africa were clinical but we're making the same mistakes. We need to look at the contact area and set piece.

"Our defence was resolute but most of our issues are ours."

South Africa head coach Heyneke Meyer said: "I thought we made a big step up since Nelspruit (the venue for Scotland's summer tour match last June). Being able to beat Scotland 28-0 at Murrayfield - we'll take that any day."


Scotland: Maitland, Seymour (Evans 67), De Luca, Taylor, Lamont, Jackson (Weir 56), Laidlaw (Cusiter 67), Dickinson (Grant 56), Ford (Lawson 56), Low, R. Gray (J. Gray 62), Hamilton, Strokosch, Barclay (Beattie 66), Denton. Subs Not Used: Cross.

South Africa: le Roux, Pietersen, Fourie, de Villiers (Engelbrecht 72), Habana, Lambie, du Preez (Pienaar 66), Steenkamp (Mtawarira 57), Strauss (du Plessis 61), Malherbe (Oosthuizen 37), Botha (Etzebeth 60), vd Merwe, Louw (Steyn 76), Alberts (Coetzee 41), Vermeulen.

Referee: Jérôme Garces (France)

Man of the Match: Willie le Roux

Attendance: 49,278