Currie's draw intensifies heat at foot of Premiership

Heriot’s 17 Currie 17

Currie lifted themselves off the bottom of the RBS Premiership with a draw against their city rivals Heriot’s at Goldenacre this afternoon.

This was a game littered with mistakes and the occasions when play went beyond four or five phases were initially rare.
Yet there still remained beacons of hope for the future – not least in the shape of Currie’s fleet-footed and quick-witted full-back George Horne.

Younger brother of Peter, the Glasgow Warriors and Scotland back, and already part of the Scotland age-grade set-up, this latest product of the Howe of Fife club, illuminated the shortest day with some daring counter-attacking and a try which stretched Currie’s lead to 17-5 going into the last quarter.

Currie dominate

Currie had dominated territory in the first-half but had butchered one opportunity on the left touchline and two penalties to the touchline rather than kicks at goal also produced nil return.

It seemed for long enough that Horne’s 15th minute penalty might be the only score of the half, until Currie capitalised on Heriot’s spluttering lineout with hooker David Cherry collecting a throw over the top and bulldozing through some ineffectual tackling for the game’s first try. Horne converted.

Heriot’s had been unable to bring any continuity to their game but after both props had been involved in pick and goes, they spun ball left and Sam Hidalgo Clyne, the Edinburgh Rugby scrum-half, who started this match at full-back, showed his paces to race in from 45 metres.

Injuries forced Currie to uncontested scrums early in the second-half – an area where it had appeared that Heriot’s had held the upper hand – and the visitors extended their lead on the hour when Horne rounded off a sustained attack off lineout ball for his team’s second try, which he also converted.

Grandstand finish

Trailing 5-17, Heriot’s responded and with Max Nimmo popping up on his wrong wing, Cammie Ferguson crossed on the right for their second try.

There was still 15 minutes remaining and, eventually, from a penalty to touch and patient forward rumbles in which Michael Maltman, inevitably, played a key part, Graeme Wilson sent Ruaraidh Carmichael scything through for their third try and Wilson’s conversion brought the scores level.

Elsewhere in the RBS Premiership, Melrose closed the gap at the top on leaders Gala with a try bonus point victory over Edinburgh Accies by 28-5; Stirling County also climbed off joint bottom with a 25-10 success against Glasgow Hawks; and Ayr returned to winning ways with a 32-14 margin against Aberdeen Grammar who are now bottom of the league.  The Hawick v Gala match was postponed after the Mansfield Park pitch was ruled unplayable due to the heavy overnight rain.