Edinburgh and Glasgow at the double in Guinness PRO12

Scotland's professional clubs avoured a double-winning weekend in the Guinness PRO12, with Edinburgh Rugby opening matters with a 20-9 victory over Scarlets on Friday night, before Glasgow Warriors saw off Leinster 33-25 at a sold-out Scotsoun on Saturday.


Edinburgh (20) 20-9 (6) Scarlets

A man of the match performance from Duncan Weir ensured that Edinburgh Rugby got their Guinness PRO12 campaign up and running on an error strewn evening at BT Murrayfield on Friday evening. Man of the match Duncan Weir

The Scottish international stand-off kicked 10 points and was instrumental in both attack and defence as the hosts demonstrated superior management of the conditions to take their first points of the season.

The match was slow out of the blocks and heavy rain prevented either side having any success with ball in hand.

After exchanging kicks the weather forced both teams to play at close quarters and referee Andrew Brace was stringent on discipline, pinging Edinburgh three times at the breakdown in the opening ten minutes.

After missing with his first effort, Rhys Patchell put the Scarlets into a 0-3 lead with a long effort after Edinburgh were once again penalised at the breakdown.

Just as the visitors were taking ascendency at the tackle zone the hosts took control of the set piece, winning two scrums against the head allowing Weir to even the scoreboard with a penalty going over off the post.

Both sides continued to test the referee’s patience and a no arm tackle in defence earnt the Scarlets forward pack a final warning and Weir put the hosts ahead off the resulting penalty.

However, the lead only lasted three minutes and once again Edinburgh were penalised at the breakdown and Patchell evened the scores at 6-6 with another long kick.

Edinburgh’s first try came on the half hour mark with Weir at the heart of it. His perfect chip over the rush defence evaded the fingertips of the diving Liam Williams by millimeters and wing Michael Allen seized the opportunity, hurdling the Welsh full-back to dive on the ball before it rolled dead.

Weir converted from the tightest of angles to make the score 13-6.

John Hardie was replaced by Hamish Watson after a crunching collision with Ken Owens in midfield and moments later Scarlets were down to 14, Jake Ball dismissed for taking a player in the air after several warnings to the Scarlets forward pack.

Edinburgh capitalised immediately. Winger Steff Evans’ flat clearance kick ricochet off the advancing Edinburgh defence straight into the hands of young number eight Magnus Bradbury who showed agility and pace to run score right on half time.

Another successful Weir kick meant the hosts went into the break leading 20-6.

It was action right from the off at the start of the second period as Bradbury was shown yellow for a dangerous tackle straight from kick off to make it 14 on 14.

Slowly but surely the scrappy fixture became more fluid and Edinburgh were shown their second yellow ten minutes later as Phil Burleigh was dismissed for interfering with play on the ground, though until that point had made quite a remarkable turnover contribution.

On the hour mark Scarlets began to exercise their gifted backline and were it not by a Duncan Weir turnover they may well surely crossed.

Edinburgh’s defence were resilient for huge periods and with just five minutes left the red shirts poured forwards and a desperate tackle from Allen on Steff Evans prevented what looked to be a certain try.

After much deliberation Allen’s challenge was deemed to be high and off the resulting line out the Welsh team’s forwards barged through the defence searching for a losing bonus point, only to be held up over the line.

Glasgow Warriors (12) 33-25 (19) Leinster

Glasgow Warriors produced a scintillating attacking performance as they christened the new synthetic surface at Scotstoun with a 33-25 win over Leinster. Tommy Seymour scored four tries v Leinster

In a man-of-the-match performance, Tommy Seymour scored four of Glasgow’s five tries, with Tim Swinson also crossing the line for Gregor Townsend’s side in front of a sell-out 7251 crowd.

With Olympic silver medallist Mark Bennett having presented the match ball prior to kick-off, it was the visitors who got proceedings underway on the new Scotstoun pitch in the September sunshine.

After an evenly-matched start, Warriors co-captain Henry Pyrgos had the opportunity to notch the first points of the afternoon with a penalty after six minutes, but pushed his attempt wide from 40 metres out.

Instead, the honour of scoring the first points on the new artificial pitch went to Tommy Seymour. After a grubber kick down the side-line from Pyrgos was regathered by the scrum-half in the Leinster 22, the ball was shipped wide to Seymour, who sprinted in.

Pyrgos was unable to add the conversion from out wide, meaning Glasgow led 5-0 after 15 minutes.

Leinster responded with a prolonged spell of pressure in the Warriors half, with only a Leonardo Sarto turnover close to the line halting the Irish side’s attack.

The visitors were not to be denied however, with Rob Kearney touching down in the corner despite the attentions of the Warriors defence. Joey Carbery added the extras to give his side the lead with 26 minutes played.

To the delight of the Warrior Nation, however, Gregor Townsend’s men responded almost immediately. After reclaiming the kick-off, the Warriors strung together a series of phases in the Leinster 22 before Tim Swinson crashed over under the posts for his second try in as many matches. With Pyrgos adding the simplest of conversions, Glasgow were back in front by 12-7.

Once more, though, Leinster piled on the pressure in the Glasgow 22. Whilst the Warriors defensive line held firm, they were dealt a blow on 35 minutes when referee John Lacey sent Sarto to the sin bin for a professional foul close to the try-line.

The Irish side took advantage of the extra man straight away. Josh van der Flier burst through the middle of a ruck 20 metres out, outpacing the Glasgow cover defence to score. Carbery’s conversion gave Leinster a 14-12 lead with just three minutes to go until the half-time break.

There was more to come for the visitors before the interval. A pinpoint cross-field kick from Carbery allowed South African winger Zane Kirchner to gather and touch down for Leinster’s third try. With the last kick of the first-half, Carbery was just short with the conversion, leaving the score at 19-12 to the Irish side at half-time.

Carbery atoned for his missed conversion by extending his side’s lead with the first points of the second-half, slotting a penalty to take the score to 22-12 in Leinster’s favour.

However, it was Glasgow that registered the first try of the second-half, as Seymour read a Leinster set move perfectly to intercept the ball and run in for his second score of the game. Pyrgos’ conversion narrowed the gap to just three points with 53 minutes played.

Just a minute later, the home side were ahead. A crunching tackle in midfield from Fraser Brown saw the ball find its way to Seymour. From fully 40 metres, the winger found a gap and had too much speed for the Leinster defence, completing his hat-trick and taking his tally for the season to five in just two games. With Pyrgos making no mistake with the extras, Glasgow led 26-22.

Once again, though, Leinster responded. Carbery rewarded his side for a prolonged period of pressure with a penalty, closing the gap to just a point with an hour played.

The home side were finishing the game the stronger, however, and once again it was Seymour who provided the clinical edge. After opting for the scrum having been awarded a penalty, a short pass allowed Seymour to race over for his fourth of the afternoon. Pyrgos added the conversion and the Warriors had a 33-25 lead with just six minutes to go.

It was an advantage they would not relinquish, as, roared on by a vocal Warrior Nation, Glasgow ensured that they made it two wins from two matches as they continue their strong start to the 2016/17 Guinness PRO12 campaign.

This week's action:

Edinburgh Rugby take on Leinster at BT Murrayfield on Friday 16 September, kick-off 7.35pm. Tickets available here.

Glasgow Warriors travel to Cardiff Blues for their match on Friday 16 September, kick-off 7pm. (Match not televised)