Double defeat for Edinburgh and Glasgow

Leinster and Cardiff Blues brought Scottish Rugby's professional teams back down to after last weekend's double success story, with the Edinburgh losing at home and Glasgow being edged out in the Welsh capital.

Edinburgh Rugby 20-33 Leinster

A spirited second-half fight-back from Edinburgh Rugby wasn’t enough to overcome an astute and clinical Leinster side, who ran out as eventual 33-20 winners in the Guinness PRO12 round three clash at BT Murrayfield.

A try from Michael Allen and Duncan Weir penalty put Edinburgh in a commanding position with an 8-0 after just five minutes.

 Leinster took control around the 15 minute mark and rallied scoring four tries through Daniel Leavy, Garry Ringrose, Isa Nacewa and Jamison Gibson-Park, with Nacewa successfully adding extras in three of his conversion attempts to take the score to 26-8 at the break in favour of the Irishmen.

Edinburgh proved the better team in the second-half, dominating and possession and territory, and creating a number of scoring opportunities.

Man of the match Hamish Watson and his fellow back-rower Magnus Bradbury both recorded tries in the second-half, yet Leinster put Edinburgh out of touching distance at the death through Leavy, who grabbed his second try of the night.

Cardiff Blues 23-19 Glasgow Warriors 

Glasgow Warriors's winning run came to an end against an also-unbeaten Cardiff side at BT Sport Arms Park.

In perfect conditions for running rugby Cardiff started brightly and won an early penalty inside the Warriors 22 after several waves of attack and Wales international Gareth Anscombe dually converted to give the home side an early lead.

Cardiff Blues won another penalty seven minutes later which they kicked to the corner. From the resulting line-out deep inside the Warriors 22 Glasgow pushed the Cardiff maul back, but the home side continued to press and several phases later won another penalty in front of the posts. Anscombe kicked it to give the Blues a 6-0 lead after 13 minutes.

The first try of the game wasn’t far away and it was the home side who got it. After a long period of possession Alex Cuthbert went over under the posts which Anscombe converted to give the Blues a 13-0 lead.

Glasgow hit back with a try of their own after good build-up play through the backs and Peter Horne sent Stuart Hogg in for a try in the corner. Rory Clegg managed to slot the conversion from the far touchline to bring the Warriors right back into the game, trailing 13-7 after 29 minutes.

Glasgow got their second try after 33 minutes when Peter Horne managed to break a tackle to score under the posts following a number of phases of attack. The Warriors were handed possession following a mistake by the Blues and Rory Clegg’s conversion gave Glasgow a 14-13 lead five minutes before the break.

A penalty for the home side right on half-time gave them one last chance to attack and they tapped it with not enough time to kick for the line-out. After a long period of possession the home side got their second try of the game through centre Rey Lee Lo in the corner, which was converted by Anscombe to give the Blues a 20-14 lead at the break.

A Glasgow penalty on their 10 metre line allowed them to kick their way further up field and this time the visitors had a line-out just outside the Cardiff 22. A driving maul took them inside the 22 and after some lovely play by the backs scrum-half Ali Price managed to break some tackles and dive over for Glasgow’s third score of the game. The conversion by Clegg was unsuccessful so the Blues now led 20-19.

With five minutes remaining both teams continued to press for a winning try but it was a penalty from the Blues with two minutes remaining which gave them a 23-19 victory in an entertaining encounter with Glasgow returning to Scotland with a losing bonus point.