ROUND-UP | Ayr power past Accies in the opening round

A physical, robust Ayr side overcame Edinburgh Accies in an action-packed east versus west battle at Raeburn Place (17-30).

The visitors dominated large parts of first-half possession and territory, but Edinburgh Accies’ determined performance in the second period produced a gripping game of rugby.

The west coast side looked a team to be reckoned with from the start, as Grant Anderson broke the defensive line early on and ran through to score in the 3rd minute (0-5).

Ayr’s continuing pressure and persistence paid off moments later when the visitors were awarded a penalty to which Scott Lyle slotted through the uprights (0-8).

A quickly taken line-out by the men in pink and black provided the perfect platform for David Armstrong to charge down the touchline and into the Accies’ 22, before feeding the ball to Kyle Rowe who cantered over the line (0-13).

Ayr cranked through the gears with a series of pick and goes before the recycled possession was seized by Blair Macpherson who bulldozed through the defence for a try (0-18).

As the clock approached the 40-minute mark, Edinburgh Accies launched themselves into action when centre George Spencer dotted down on the line to put the first points on the scoreboard for the capital side (5-18).

HALF-TIME: Edinburgh Accies 5-18 Ayr

It was a brighter start from Edinburgh Accies in the second-half and following a prolonged spell of possession scrum-half Robbie Davis whipped the ball out to Cameron Gray who finished smartly in the corner (10-18).

Buoyed by the growing tally, Edinburgh Accies’ grit was unrelenting as the side continued to work hard in attack.

With Ayr’s defence wavering, the hosts were able to capitalise when centre Spencer crossed the whitewash for his second try of the game. Richard Mill was successful with the boot to add the extras and narrow the score down to one point (17-18).

The visitors rallied and were able to halt Accies’ comeback when Kyle Rowe produced a thrilling solo effort as he showed clever footwork to weave his way through the defence and over the line, however, Lyle’s struggles from the tee continued with another missed conversion (17-23).

As the game drew to a close, Ayr were able to sneak in one last try through Macpherson who muscled his way through the defence to score, sealing victory for the visitors (17-30).

FULL-TIME: Edinburgh Accies 17-30 Ayr  

Elsewhere, Melrose got their first win of the campaign in style against Border rivals Hawick with a bonus point victory.

Heriot’s recorded an impressive win away against Glasgow Hawks, while Watsonians overcame Stirling County at Myreside.

A strong second-half performance from Currie Chieftains helped to secure a comfortable win against Boroughmuir in an Edinburgh derby at Malleny Park.

Tennent’s Premiership Round 1 Results:

League table

Watsonians 20-14 Stirling County
County couldn't back up last weekend's impressive Charity Shield win over Melrose but took a losing bonus away from Myreside.

Glasgow Hawks 14-46 Heriot’s
Heriot's were convincing in victory over Glasgow Hawks. Their pack a telling difference in this bonus-point win.

Hawick 14-48 Melrose
A comfortable win for the Rose on the road whose backs shone throughout.

Edinburgh Accies 17-30 Ayr
A physical, robust Ayr side overcame Edinburgh Accies in an action-packed east versus west battle at Raeburn Place.

Currie Chieftains 32-19 Boroughmuir
An impressive start for Ben Cairn's Currie Chieftains who picked up a bonus-point win over city rivals Boroughmuir.