Academy starlets shine against Canada A

Seven starlets from the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy shone for Glasgow Warriors as they cruised past a Canada A side containing seven full internationalists at Bridgehaugh last night (63-0).

In what was an impressive display where the young players (plus two recent graduates from the 15/16 cohort) came to the fore as the Warriors ran in nine tries.

Match report

In front of nearly 2000 people at the home of Stirling County, Glasgow, through stand-off Hagen Schulte’s kick-off, got the game underway in the shadow of the Wallace Monument.

With a number of new faces on show, it was perhaps unsurprising that one of them was to register the first score.

After Glasgow had recycled the ball through a number of phases in the Canadian 22, Fijian scrum-half Nemia Kenatale burrowed over from close-range on his first appearance for the club.

Schulte added the conversion, and Glasgow led 7-0 after as many minutes.

Unfortunately, a knock sustained in the act of scoring forced Kenatale’s debut to be curtailed, with Academy player George Horne taking his place.

The second try arrived soon after, and it was a popular one with the Bridgehaugh crowd.

A spilt ball from Canada on halfway allowed Fraser Lyle to break away. The centre took contact and offloaded superbly to captain Peter Murchie, who in turn fed 15/16 Academy gradute Nick Grigg to allow the former Stirling player to race over under the posts to leave Schulte with a simple conversion.

Glasgow’s pack was on top and on 14 minutes, a rolling maul allowed another recent Academy graduate, James Malcolm, to touch down for the Warriors’ third try. Schulte converted from a tricky angle to give his side a 21-0 lead, before Horne sniped over for Glasgow’s fourth try,

Schulte converted to leave the half-time score at 28-0 in favour of the Warriors at the break.

The second forty minutes began where the first had left off, with both sides probing to try and find a gap in the other’s defence. Once again, it was Glasgow who scored first, as Academy back-row Matt Fagerson’s strong carry saw him barrel over the line.

Schulte was once again on target with the extras, taking the score to 35-0.

After a raft of tries earlier in the game, the Warrior Nation were made to wait until the 67th minute for their next score. A lovely one-two between Fenton and Horne saw the former crash over for his first try in a Warriors jersey. Horne continued Glasgow’s perfect record from the tee by adding the conversion, extending the advantage to 42-0.

Academy forward Josh Henderson was the next to cross the Canadian whitewash, as the replacement fly-half was the man to benefit from Rory Hughes’ footwork and offload out wide to touch down. From the touchline, Horne bisected the uprights to add the extra two points.

Glasgow continued to threaten, with Acdemy centre Patrick Kelly the man to finish off a set-play from a scrum inside the Canada 22 for their seventh try. Once again, Horne was successful with the conversion, taking Glasgow’s lead to 56-0.

There was to be time for one more score, and it arrived courtesy of Horne. The replacement scrum-half capped a fine all-around performance by tracking Henderson’s line break to receive an inside pass and dive over under the posts for his second try of the night.

With the last kick of the game, he converted his own score, leaving the final score at 63-0 in favour of the Warriors.

Speaking exclusively to after the game, Nick Grigg said: “Before the game we set the goal that the last 20 minutes would be Warrior time, and we made sure we didn’t concede a point then. We didn’t concede a point at all, though, so the whole game was pretty much Warrior time!

“We’re equally happy with the nine tries and the clean sheet. I thought the new guys that came in from club rugby and the guys making their first appearance really stepped up, tried things that worked and got us those tries. We’re really happy on all fronts

“I really enjoyed my first try for the Warriors. Big thanks to Peter Murchie for passing it to me, and all I had to do was run it between the sticks in the end. It was awesome to get my first try though.”