Rugby Development Awards
Scottish Rugby's Development Awards celebrates and recognises the efforts of players, coaches, match officials and volunteers from the domestic game across all five regions of Scotland.
OPEN NOW! Nominations are now open until Friday 31 January for the following awards -
Mistubishi Motors Volunteer of the Season in Youth Rugby
Mistubishi Motors Volunteer of the Season in Schools Rugby
Mistubishi Motors Young Volunteer of the Season
Tennent's Volunteer of the Season in Adult Rugby
Tennent's Community Rugby Club of the Season
SP Energy Networks Club Coaching System of the Season
SP Energy Networks Spirit of Rugby
With four different volunteer award categories up for grabs, each is designed to recognise the hard-working individuals of the rugby community that work tirelessly behind the scenes for the benefit of their club members, schools and players.
The following awards will be made to volunteers who have made an outstanding contribution to the development and enjoyment of rugby for all, celebrating those people that support grassroots rugby day in day out with their hard work, time, knowledge, passion and skills for the game. For so many people, regular activity simply wouldn’t be possible without the work of volunteers.
So what are you waiting for? All you need to do is determine which award best suits the nominee from the list below and then nominate your local unsung heroes today!
To nominate, simply complete the online form to recognise someone in your region by clicking here. One award winner from each region will be selected so please ensure you clearly state the region you are involved in. If you require further information on your clubs region, please see our FAQ's at the bottom of the page.
All volunteer nominations received will be put forward to their regional judging panel whose decisions will be final. One winner from each region will then be shortlisted as finalists for the end of season Awards Night in May. Regional winners will be notified before Friday 28 February.
Tennent's Community Rugby Club of the Season
The Tennent’s Community Rugby Club of the Season will be awarded to one club in each region who brings together stakeholders in the local community who want to grow and develop the sport of rugby, is focused on sustainable community-led approaches and is a club that creates an inclusive, welcoming, safe and fun environment. To nominate, simply complete the online form.
All nominations received for the Tennent’s Community Rugby Club of the Season Award will be put forward to their regional judging panel whose decisions will be final. One winner from each region will then be shortlisted as finalists for the end of season Awards Night in May. Regional winners will be notified before Friday 28 February.
Scottish Rugby's Development Awards Night, held in May, is an evening of celebration that showcases the contribution of the game, celebrating success and rewarding those that make our sport vibrant, inclusive and exciting across Scotland. Club members and supporters are invited to the perfect end-of-season party to celebrate the 2019/20 season in style!
The awards night is always one of the highlights in the Scottish Rugby calendar and it promises to be another special occasion to end a season that has seen so many great club achievements. Look out for further details and a full list of awards coming soon!
SP Energy Networks Club Coaching System of the Year
This is awarded to a club that has shown dedication to developing coaches at all levels and who has created a positive player-centred coaching environment across the club. Simply complete the online form to nominate a club for this award.
SP Energy Networks Spirit of Rugby
This is awarded to someone who has made a major impact on the world of rugby during their lifetime. It takes into account the dedication to rugby they have shown throughout the years, irrespective of the level of the game to which they have been devoted. To nominate, simply complete the online form!
Nominations for these awards will be put forward to the Scottish Rugby Development Awards Night judging panel with the winner announced at the end of season Awards Night in May. If you have any problems completing the online form please email [email protected].
Tennent's Club of the Season – Biggar RFC
Tennent's Women’s Club of the Season – Garioch RFC
SP Energy Networks Spirit of Rugby – David Stibbles MBE (Harris Academy FP RFC) & John Wright (Edinburgh Accies/BATs Rugby)
SP Energy Networks Club Coaching System of the Year – Boroughmuir RFC
Crabbie’s Referee of the Season – Ruairidh Campbell
Tennent's Volunteer of the Season – Jeremy Wares (Perthshire RFC)
Brigadier Frank Coutts Memorial Award for Tennent’s Try of the Season - Robin Eatough (Highland RFC)
Tennent's Premiership Player of the Season – Iain Wilson (Heriot’s Rugby)
Tennent’s National 1 Player of the Season - Sean Nixon (Selkirk RFC)
Tennent’s National 2 Player of the Season – Connor Faulds (Falkirk RFC)
Tennent’s National 3 Player of the Season - William McCornick (Newton Stewart RFC)
Tennent’s Caledonia Region Player of the Season - Liam Ward (Rosyth Sharks RFC)
Tennent’s East Region Player of the Season - Jason Watt (Livingston RFC)
Tennent’s West Region Player of the Season - Max Crumlish (Cambuslang RFC)
Tennent's Premier League Player of the Season – Chloe Johnstone (Stewartry RFC)
Tennent’s Women's National League Division 1 Player of the Season - Shona Jessiman (Glasgow University Women)
Tennent’s Women's National League Division 2 Player of the Season - Maedbh Smyth (Aberdeenshire RFC)
Tennent’s Women’s North League Player of the Season - Katie Roe (Shetland RFC)
BT Club of the Season – Hamilton
BT Women’s Club of the Season – Oban Lorne
Coaching System of the Year – Stirling County
Crabbie’s Referee of the Season – Finlay Brown
Spirit of Rugby – Jock Todd (Kelso Harlequins)
BT Volunteer of the Season – Angela and Craig Marshall (Greenock Wanderers)
Brigadier Frank Coutts Memorial (BT) Try of the Season – Glen Faulds (Currie Chieftains)
BT Premiership Player of the Season – Craig Jackson (Melrose)
BT National League Division 1 Player of the Season – Darren Gillespie (Jed-Forest)
BT National League Division 2 Player of the Season – Taz McLaughlin(Hamilton)
BT National League Division 3 Player of the Season – Ryan Sweeney (Glasgow Accies)
BT Caledonia Regional Player of the Season – Kris Hamilton (Caithness)
BT East Regional Player of the Season – Gavin Douglas (Hawick Harlequins)
BT West Regional Player of the Season – Ewan Mackay (Strathendrick)
BT Women’s Premier League Player of the Season – Bryony Nelson (Watsonians)
BT Women’s National League Division 1 Player of the Season – Amy McGlashan (Glasgow University)
BT Women’s National League Division 2 Player of the Season – Lucy Stewart (Oban Lorne)
BT Women’s North Player of the Season – Isla Jack (Banff)
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the nomination period?
The nomination period is open from Tuesday 26 November until midnight Friday 31 January.
All nominations received will then be put forward to the Scottish Rugby Regional judging panels whose decisions will be final. The winners from each region will then be shortlisted as finalists in March, with the overall category winner announced at the end of season Scottish Rugby Development Awards Night in May.
How is the award decided?
All nominations received by 31 January will be put forward to their regional judging panel, whose decisions will be final. The winners from each region will then be shortlisted as finalists in March, with the overall category winner announced at the end of season Scottish Rugby Development Awards Night in May.
Who can nominate?
Any individual can nominate a volunteer who participates within a rugby club, school or organisational environment, to show their appreciation of the time, effort and contribution they make to the grassroots game.
Any individual can nominate a club within Scotland who is affiliated with Scottish Rugby.
What are the five regions?
You’ll see rugby in many communities across Scotland, and they’ll be ready to welcome you whether you want to play, coach or volunteer. The five regions are:
Caledonia North Region is Scottish Rugby’s most northerly situated Development team, which covers activities all the way to the northern tip of Scotland, taking in Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles and Highlands.
Caledonia Midlands Region covers rugby happenings in the centre of Scotland, taking in Dundee, Angus, Fife, Perth and Kinross, Clackmannanshire, Falkirk and Stirling.
East Region covers all things rugby in Edinburgh and the surrounding local areas; Midlothian, West Lothian, East Lothian and the Scottish Borders.
Glasgow North Region covers all aspects of rugby happening in the west, including North Lanarkshire, Argyll & Bute, West Dunbartonshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, Glasgow City and South Lanarkshire.
Glasgow South Region covers the development of rugby across Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire, South Ayrshire, East Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Dumfries and Galloway.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
This document (further: “Criteria”) describes the terms and conditions of the Scottish Rugby Awards competitions (further: “Competition”). Within the Competition we invite nominations from clubs, players, volunteers and spectators. The Contest is open for clubs registered with Scottish Rugby for season 2019-20.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
1. You can participate in the Competition if: a. you are at least 18 years on the day of entering the Competition, or b. you are between 13 and 18 years on the day of entering the Competition and your parent or guardian approved your participation in the Competition.
2. You cannot participate in the Competition if you are an employee of Scottish Rugby.
- Nominations must be received via the Scottish Rugby website, nominations will not be accepted via any other means.
- Video clips and must be in one of the following formats: MPG, FLV, 3GP, AVI, MOV.
HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE CHOSEN?
1. Winning nominations for each category will be selected by the Selection Panel (further: “Panel”) consisting of representatives from Scottish Rugby and Scottish Rugby sponsors.
2. The Panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
3. The Panel reserves the right to award other special prizes at its sole discretion.
CONTESTANT’S OBLIGATIONS AND DECLARATIONS
- By sending a nomination, you (as a Nominator) confirm that you have notified the Nominee and that you and the Nominee agree that if you win the Competition, the Scottish Rugby and Scottish Rugby sponsors may use your name and/or image in announcements of the Competition results or in any other promotional materials applicable to the Competition.
COPYRIGHT AND PUBLICITY RIGHT
- We (Scottish Rugby) declare that we have exclusive, full, proprietary and unencumbered rights to the video content as a whole as well as to its individual creative components and that Scottish Rugby are not limited in any way to license copyright on the content from the video.
- By submitting a nomination, you (the Nominator) grant Scottish Rugby and Scottish Rugby sponsors a non-exclusive, worldwide, non-transferable, royalty-free licence to use any images/video clip(s) for the purpose of the Competition, including providing any images or video clips(s) to the Selection Panel members. This licence covers the following forms of exploitation: a. taking of or making the video clip(s) available to the Selection Panel members or to other persons involved in the Competition in a manner allowing them to access any images or video clip(s) in a place and at a time selected by them, b. public performing, retransmitting, broadcasting and rebroadcasting of images or video clips on the Scottish Rugby social channels, c. public performing, retransmitting, broadcasting and rebroadcasting of any images or video clips on Scottish Rugby sponsors social media channels.
Any and all video clip(s), as a part of entry into the Try of the Month Award, warrants the following:
(a) entrants agree that Scottish Rugby have the right to publish and communicate to the public the video clip in any media including, but not limited to, online, at all times without restriction or limitation and not only for the purposes of the Try of the Month Award;
(b) entrants acknowledge that Scottish Rugby may edit the video clip in its sole discretion;
(c) entrants agree that Scottish Rugby has the right to use entrants' names and other personal information in conjunction with the video clip; and
(d) if the video clip includes individuals aged under 18 the Club shall have obtained the consent of a parent or a guardian (and will provide Scottish Rugby with the contact details we need should we wish to verify this).
- Scottish Rugby and Scottish Rugby sponsors will not cover any costs incurred in connection with the Competition, including entering the Competition, submitting any images or video clips and receiving the prize referred to above except where stated above.
- Scottish Rugby reserves the right to alter, amend or foreclose the promotion without prior notice.
- The promoter is Scottish Rugby Union Limited. A company incorporated in Scotland (number SC132061), Registered Office: BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh EH12 5PJ