For Match Officials
There are many reasons to take up match officiating; remaining involved in the sport after playing, choosing to enhance your knowledge of the laws or progressing through the career pathway to achieve your goal in officiating. No matter what the reason, officiating is a rewarding, exciting, and enjoyable way to stay involved in rugby.
- Stay involved with the game you love
- Give something back to the sport
- Stay fit – mentally and physically
- Develop yourself personally and professionally
- Inspire the next generation of referees and players
How do I get involved?
Scottish Rugby’s new Match Official Development Pathway replaces the current courses as of November 2020. The new pathway has been developed to support clubs, schools and societies to work towards three linked aims, and will be delivered as of November 2020:
- Start - To give more people the chance to participate in rugby.
- Stay – To retain more people in our game by improving their experiences.
- Succeed - To support more people to achieve their potential whether at club, school, age-grade, professional or international level.
Scottish Rugby Courses
Can't find what you are looking for? Find out all the events, courses and fixtures by using the Clubs & Schools Calendar.
There are six referee societies throughout Scotland supporting recruitment, development and deployment of referees within their region. Each referee society plays a pivotal role in the enjoyment and well-being of players of all ages and abilities in our sport.
Find a Referee Society
Area Contact More Information Edinburgh President - Graham Allen
Secretary - Fergus Hollins
Website Borders Website West of Scotland President - Euan McQuarrie
Secretary - Calum Lazenby
Website Midlands President - Mhairi Hay
Secretary - Steve Melon
Aberdeen President - Ray Mellis
Secretary - Vernon Fawcett
Highlands President - Gavin MacDonald
Secretary - James Fraser
Contact Scottish Rugby
Click to view the key contacts in your region and relevant department, ready to help with your enquiry.