For Match Officials
There are many reasons to take up match officiating; remaining involved in the sport after playing, choosing to enhance your knowledge of the laws or progressing through the career pathway to achieve your goal in officiating. No matter what the reason, officiating is a rewarding, exciting, and enjoyable way to stay involved in rugby.
- Stay involved with the game you love
- Give something back to the sport
- Stay fit – mentally and physically
- Develop yourself personally and professionally
- Inspire the next generation of referees and players
How do I get involved in Match Officiating?
Get involved in match officiating by following these simple steps:
- Contact your local club, school, or referee society (click here to view) to enquire about opportunities.
- Sign-up to our SCRUMS system as a match official and complete the RugbyRight minimum standard online course.
- Sign up for a match official qualification near you (visit SCRUMS and click ‘browse courses’ - see course information below).
- Sign up to the Online Training Hub (powered by Hive) for resources, videos, and downloads – the training hub key (required to create an account) can be obtained by contacting your club coach coordinator.
Match Official Course
Scottish Rugby’s new Match Official Development Pathway comes into play as of July 2021. The new pathway has been developed to support clubs, schools and societies to work towards three linked aims:
- Start - To give more people the chance to participate in rugby.
- Stay - To retain more people in our game by improving their experiences.
- Succeed - To support more people to achieve their potential whether at club, school, age-grade, professional or international level.
Scottish Rugby Courses
Scottish Rugby offer a range of practical and theoretical qualifications and workshops to suit match officials of differing aspirations and are ran across all of our regions in Scotland.
- Introduction to Match Officiating (entry level course)
- Mental health e-learning course
Please note that group bookings are not possible at the moment. This feature is being developed at the moment.
Scottish Rugby Courses
There are six referee societies throughout Scotland supporting recruitment, development and deployment of referees within their region. Each referee society plays a pivotal role in the enjoyment and well-being of players of all ages and abilities in our sport.
Find a Referee Society
Area Contact More Information Edinburgh President - Graham Allen
Secretary - Fergus Hollins
Website Borders Website West of Scotland President - Euan McQuarrie
Secretary - Calum Lazenby
Website Midlands President - Mhairi Hay
Secretary - Alastair Barclay
Aberdeen President - Ray Mellis
Secretary - Vernon Fawcett
Highlands President - Gavin MacDonald
Secretary - James Fraser
Contact Scottish Rugby
Click to view the key contacts in your region and relevant department, ready to help with your enquiry.