For Match Officials
There are many reasons to take up match officiating; remaining involved in the sport after playing, choosing to enhance your knowledge of the laws or progressing through the career pathway to achieve your goal in officiating. No matter what the reason, officiating is a rewarding, exciting, and enjoyable way to stay involved in rugby.
- Stay involved with the game you love
- Give something back to the sport
- Stay fit – mentally and physically
- Develop yourself personally and professionally
- Inspire the next generation of referees and players
How do I get involved in Match Officiating?
Match Official Courses
Our new Match Official Development Pathway came into play as of July 2021. The new pathway has been developed to support clubs, schools and societies to work towards three linked aims:
- Start - To give more people the chance to participate in rugby.
- Stay - To retain more people in our game by improving their experiences.
- Succeed - To support more people to achieve their potential whether at club, school, age-grade, professional or international level.
Scottish Rugby offers a range of practical and theoretical qualifications and workshops to suit match officials of differing aspirations, running across all of our regions in Scotland.
- Introduction to Match Officiating (entry-level course)
- Aspiring Match Official
- Mental health e-learning course
Please note that group bookings are not possible at the moment.
Scottish Rugby Courses
There are six referee societies throughout Scotland supporting recruitment, development and deployment of referees within their region. Each referee society plays a pivotal role in the enjoyment and well-being of players of all ages and abilities in our sport.
Find a Referee Society
Area Contact More Information Edinburgh President - Graham Allen
Secretary - Fergus Hollins
Website Borders Website
West of Scotland President - Colin Dow
Secretary - Calum Lazenby
Midlands President - Mhairi Hay
Secretary - Alastair Barclay
Aberdeen President - Ray Mellis
Secretary - Vernon Fawcett
Highlands President - Gavin MacDonald
Secretary - James Fraser
Contact Scottish Rugby
Click to view the key contacts in your region and relevant department, ready to help with your enquiry.
Hear from some current and newly qualified referees on why you should get involved in our video below.