FOSROC Super6 Round 10: Weekend Review

FOSROC Super6 Round 10: Weekend Review

Sunday 10 October: Watsonians Rugby v Ayrshire Bulls 

Sam Daly opened the scoring this afternoon when he split apart the Bulls defence to run in the opening try for Watsonians, his stand-off Joe Reynolds added the conversion.

Three minutes later young centre Scott King collected an offload from Reynolds to go in for the hosts second of the afternoon, Reynolds conversion was successful.

Watsonians winger Ru Smith intercepted the ball just outside the half-way line and sprinted his way up-field to score their third of the afternoon.

Moments later the host turned over possession inside the twenty-two. Matt Currie broke up-field then kicked ahead, the ball was then collected by Harvey Elms who went over for the try-bonus point to make it 24-0.

It seemed like the visitors might run away with the game when Karl Main powered over for their fifth try of the afternoon (with Reynolds adding the conversion) but Bulls got on the scoresheet in the last play of the first-half with a try by Ryan Sweeney, converted by Matt Minogue.


It took twenty minutes for the first score of the second-half to come, and you could tell Ayrshire Bulls were building to something.

From roughly seven metres out replacement stand-off Christian Townsend fended off two second-rows to nip over for a try. Minogue was on hand to add the extra two points on offer to make it 34-14.

Matt Currie showed what he could do when he stepped off his left foot to go on the inside of a Bull and run in for their sixth try of the afternoon.

Young back-row Ben Muncaster sealed the deal for the hosts just before the strike of full-time as he barged his way over the try line from five metres out.

Reynolds added the conversion and Watsonians secured themselves home advantage in next Friday night’s 3rd v 4th Final.


Watsonians Rugby: TRY Ben Muncaster, Matt Currie, Karl Main, Harvey Elms, Ru Smith, Scott King, Sam Daly CON Joe Reynolds (4)
Ayrshire Bulls: TRY Ryan Sweeney, Christian Townsend CON Matt Minogue (2)

Ref: Ian Kenny
AR1: Keith Allen
AR2: Michael Todd
NO4: Willie Anderson
Time: Andy Summers

FOSROC Player of the Match
Matt Currie (Watsonians Rugby)


Watsonians Rugby: 15. Dom Coetzer, 14. Harvey Elms, 13. Matt Currie, 12. Scott King, 11. Lomond Macpherson, 10. Joe Reynolds, 9. Reiss Cullen; 1. Sam Grahamslaw, 2. Cal Davies, 3. Angus Williams CAPTAIN, 4. Luis Ball, 5. Michael Badenhorst, 6. Ben Muncaster, 7. Karl Main, 8. Sam Daly.
Replacements: 16. Ross Graham, 17. Harrison Courtney, 18. Nathan Borel, 19. Kwagga Van Niekerk, 20. Campbell Wilson, 21. Roan Frostwick, 22. Marc Morrison, 23. Ru Smith

Ayrshire Bulls: 15. Elias Caven, 14. Aaron Tait, 13. Tom Lanni, 12. Robert Beattie, 11. Finn Callaghan, 10. Matt Minogue, 9. Jordan Lenac CAPTAIN; 1. George Thornton, 2. Rhodri Tanner, 3. Calvin Henderson, 4. Ewan Hamilton-Bulger, 5. Tom Everard, 6. Rory Jackson, 7. Gavin Wilson, 8. Ryan Sweeney
Replacements: 25. Alex McGuire, 17. Ruairidh Sayce, 18. Michael Scott, 16. Blair MacPherson, 19. Jamie Drummond, 21. Christian Townsend, 22.Gavin Lowe, 23. Adam McGowan

Saturday 9 October: Heriot's Rugby v Boroughmuir Bears 

The opening score of this game came only three minutes into the first half when Boroughmuir worked the ball out to winger Jordan Edmunds from a set-piece scrum. He proceeded to power is way down the wing and offload to centre Robbie McCallum who went in for the opening score. Martin Cimprich added the conversion.

Bears extended their lead when open-side flanker Rhys Tait barged his way towards the try-line, fending off a couple of the Bears on the way. Cimprich once again added the extra points on offer.

On twenty minutes, Heriot’s got their first points of the afternoon on the scoreboard when Jason Hill was able to secure the ball down over the try-line with Bruce Houston adding the conversion.

They drew the points even near the half-hour mark when blindside flanker Ruaridh Leishman controlled the ball well at the back of the scrum to nip over for a try, Houston on hand to add the conversion from out-wide.

HALF-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 14-14 Boroughmuir Bears

Bears extended their lead ten minutes into the second-half when their backs showed some nice handling between Duncan Munn and Robbie McCallum who found Jordan Edmunds who swan dived in-between the posts. Cimprich adding the conversion.

On the hour mark Heriot’s stand-off Bruce Houston intercepted the ball on the 22-metre line and hot-footed it to the try-line, despite the attempts of his opposite man, Cimprich, to track him down.

Ten minutes later Heriot’s took the lead for the first time in the game when Michael Liness secured the ball down at the back of the maul to make it 24-21.

In the last play of the game Heriot’s replacement James Couper intercepted the ball near the five-metre line. He sprinted up-field and was brought down about 40 metres out. He popped the ball up to full-back Ross Jones who kicked the ball inside for Alex Ball to patiently collect and dive over the line.

Houston added the conversion to seal the deal and ensure Heriot’s home advantage in next Saturday afternoons 5th v 6th Final.

FULL-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 31 - 21 Boroughmuir Bears

Heriot’s Rugby: Jason Hill, Ruaridh Leishman, Bruce Houston, Michael Liness, Alex Ball CON: Bruce Houtson (3)
Boroughmuir Bears: TRY Robbie McCallum, Rhys Tait, Jordan Edmunds CON: Martin Cimprich (3)

Match Officials
Ref: Finlay Brown
AR1: Ross Mabon
AR2: Alistair Watt

FOSROC Player of the Match
Robbie McCallum (Boroughmuir Bears)

Yellow Callum Young (Heriot’s Rugby)

Heriot’s Rugby: 15. Ross Jones, 14. Ben Evans, 13. Rory McMichael, 12. Stuart Edwards, 11. Callum Young, 10. Bruce Houston, 9. Lloyd Wheeldon; 1. Michael Jones, 2. Michael Liness, 3. Dan Gamble, 4. Callum Marshall, 5. Fraser Hastie (25), 6. Ruairidh Lishman, 7. Iain Wilson CAPTAIN, 8. Jason Hill.
Replacements: 16. Chris Keen, 17. Andrew Nimmo, 18. Josh Scott, 19. Ronan Seydak, 20. Jack McClean, 21. Alex Ball, 22. Matt Russell, 23. James Couper.

Boroughmuir Bears: 15. Tom Brown, 14. Callum Ramm, 13. Duncan Munn, 12. Robbie McCallum*, 11. Jordan Edmunds, 10. Martin Cimprich , 9. Kaleem Barreto; 1. Ross Dunbar, 2. Craig McKenzie, 3. Martin McGinley, 4. Euan Ferrie*, 5. Jack Fisher, 5. Craig Keddie, 7. Rhys Tait*, 8. Trystan Andrews
Replacements: 16. Finlay Scott, 17. Cole Lamberton, 18. Scott Habib, 19. Scott McGinley, 20. Ronan Kerr, 21. Murray Johnstone, 22. Kyle McGhie, 23. Mzwandile Mncube

Friday 8 October: Southern Knights v Stirling County 

The opening try of this evenings game only five minutes into the match when the hosts threw to the middle of the line out approx. ten metres out. They started to maul the ball forward and pulled the ball out wide to find young full-back Jacob Henry who backed himself to power over the try-line.

Stirling had an opportunity to get points on the board when the Knights were penalised for holding on but Euan Cunningham’s penalty attempt at goal was just wide.

It took 25 minutes for the next score to come but Knights extended their lead when their rolling maul got moving and Fraser Renwick secured the ball down over the try line.

Henry bagged his second try of the evening when he collected the ball after some nice handling by teammates Iain Sim and Murdo McAndrew. Jason Baggott added the conversion for good measure.

HALF-TIME: Southern Knights 17 - 0 Stirling County

Ten minutes into the second-half Ruaridh Knott powered over for the hosts fourth try of the evening with Baggott adding the conversion to make it 24-0.

Russell Anderson produced nearly a carbon copy of Renwick’s try when he made is way over for a fifth try for the hosts, with Baggott once again adding the conversion.

Knights secured their sixth try of the evening when Shaun Gunn powered over from short range.

In the last moments of the game Stirling County seems to spring into life when winger Tom Roche threw the ball into himself, the ball worked its way to Archie Russell who weaved his way to the try line with Craig Robertson adding the two extra points on offer to take the full compliment of seven points.

FULL-TIME: Southern Knights 36 - 7 Stirling County

Southern Knights: TRY Jacob Henry (2), Fraser Renwick, Ruaridh Knott, Russell Anderson, Shaun Gunn CON Jason Baggott (3)
Stirling County: TRY Archie Russell CON: Craig Robertson


Ref: Hollie Davidson
AR1: David Changleng
AR2: Walter Gaffney
Time: Alan Forrest

FOSROC Player of the Match
Jacob Henry (Southern Knights)

George Breese (Stirling County)

Southern Knights: 15. Jacob Henry 14. Sam Pecqueur 13. Nyle Godsmark 12. Billy Wara, 11. Iain Sim, 10. Jason Baggott. 9. Murdo Mcandrew; 1. Grant Sheills CAPTAIN, 2. Fraser Renwick, 3. Calum Crookshanks, 4. Daniel Suddon, 5. Angus Runciman, 6. Ruaridh Knott, 7. Allan Ferrie, 8. Harry Borthwick
Replacements: 16. Russell Anderson, 17. Shaun Gunn,18. Euan Mclaren, 19. Dalton Redpath, 20. Andrew Mitchell, 21. Cameron Jones, 22. Patrick Anderson, 23. Keiran Clark

Stirling County: 15. Marcus Holden, 14. Steven Hamilton, 13. Archie Russell, 12. Craig Jardine, 11. Tom Roche, 10. Euan Cunningham, 9. Grant Hughes; 1. Adam Wood, 2. Reyner Kennedy CAPTAIN, 3. Lewis Skinner, 4. James Pow, 5. Max Williamson, 6. George Arnott, 7. Connor Gordon, 8. Dean Taylor-Menzies.
Replacements: 16. Angus Fraser, 17. George Breese, 18. JP Phelan, 19. Byron Bowes, 20. Callum Cruickshank, 21. Caleb Korteweg, 22. Andrew Goudie, 23. Craig Robertson

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners

Peter Vardy logo