Scotland Club XV defeated by their Irish counterparts In Dublin

Despite an improved second half performance Scotland Club XV were defeated by their Irish counter parts this evening in Dublin.

Ireland had an opportunity to take an early lead within the first minute, however stand-off James Taylor’s long-range penalty kick was just to the side of the posts.

Moments later, in the same position Taylor had attempted his kick, Scotland full-back Grant Mollison broke an Irish tackle and took the ball past the halfway, offloaded to skipper Fergus Scott to take us up to the 22m but was brought down by the Irish defence.

With Ireland throwing everything towards the try line the Scottish defence remained solid for long periods before the hosts sucked in the visitor’s defence which allowed winger Colm Hogan to find space on the outside and get the ball down over the line.

Scotland responded straight away, winger Callum Young received the ball from scrum half Gregor Christie and broke an Irish tackle. He got up to the 22m line and found Christie again on his outside who evaded the attempted Irish defence and found his way to the try line to dot down in the corner. Aaron McColm was able to add the further two points on offer when he sliced the ball between the uprights from the touch line to give Scotland the lead in the game.

On the half hour mark Scotland were penalised for not rolling away and Taylor kicked to touch for Ireland. From a lineout on the 5m line the hosts mauled it forward Michael Melia peeled off the back and scored over the try line. Taylor adding the extra two points.

With moments to go until the first-half whistle, Ireland threw everything at the Scottish defence, but we remained solid and all they were able to find was a blue wall in front of them.

HALF-TIME: Ireland 12-7 Scotland

Scotland’s first attacking threat came only moments into the second half when Young used his speed and evasion to take Scotland up the park, he was brought down and Christie recycled the ball quickly. As he tried to pass it out it was intercepted by Irelands Pa Ryan, referee Tual Trainini brought play back and showed Ryan a yellow card for being offside. McColm slotted the ball between the uprights to give Scotland a further three points.

Ten minutes later, just as Ryan returned to the field, Scotland number eight Ewan MacDougal was show a yellow card for a repeated team infringement. With a man down Scotland were penalised moments later for not releasing and Taylor stretched the hosts ahead.

On the 60-minute Ireland upped their intensity and kicked the ball through the Scottish defence, Sam Coghlan collecting and scoring with Taylor, once again adding the two extra points on offer.

With ten minutes to go and a 12-point deficit Scotland Head Coach Scott Wight sent a number of replacements to the field. Willian Farquar’s first touch of the ball was when it popped out the back of a ruck, inches from the try line he remained composed enough to pop it up to debutante Rhys Davies who was able to secure the ball over the try line, Colin Sturgeon adding the conversion.

As the final whistle drew closer Scotland retained possession and threw everything into attacking the Irish try line, in the dying moments Scott Bickerstaff made a half-break down the wing but was brought down by the hosts and with that Tual Trainini brought the game to a close.

Despite pushing their opponents close it was the hosts Ireland who won this evenings match and retained the Dalriada Cup on an aggregate score of 61 points to Scotlands 34.

FULL-TIME: Ireland 22-17 Scotland 

“You can’t fault their effort tonight, they worked tirelessly, they worked right to the 80 minutes. We had a chance, the opportunity was there right at the end when we had all the momentum, huge credit to them. It puts Scottish club rugby on the map, they stepped up to the challenge, it’s been a hugely positive two performances." Scott Wight

Referee: Tual Trainini (France)

Player of the Match: Pa Ryan (Ireland)

Scotland: 15. Grant Mollison (GHA); 14. Scott Bickerstaff (Marr), 13. Andrew Mitchell (Hawick), 12. Conor Bickerstaff (Marr), 11. Callum Young (Jed-Forest); 10. Aaron McColm (Selkirk), 9. Gregor Christie (Currie); 1. Shawn Muir (Hawick), 2. Fergus Scott - CAPTAIN (Currie Chieftains), 3. Gary Strain (Glasgow Hawks), 4. Mike Vernel (Currie Chieftains), 5. Gregor Law (Jed-Forest), 6. Nathaniel Coe (Aberdeen Grammar), 7. Wallace Nelson (Currie Chieftains), 8. Ewan MacDougall (Selkirk).

Replacements: 16. Matt Carryer (Hawick) on for Scott 70mins , 17. William Farquhar (Marr) on for Shawn Muir 70mins , 18. Calvin Henderson (Marr) on for Stain 49min, 19. Robin Cessford (Aberdeen Grammar) on for Mike Vernel 45mins, 20. Rhys Davies (Currie) on for Coe 49mins, 21. Patrick Boyer (Glasgow Hawks) on for Christie 49mins , 22. Colin Sturgeon (Marr) on for McColm 48 mins, 23. Steven Hamilton (Currie Chieftains) for Mitchell 70mins

Ireland: 15. Jamie Heuston; 14. Colm Hogan, 13. Pa Ryan, 12. Bryan Fitzgerald, 11. Matthew Byrne; 10. James Taylor, 9. Aran Hehir; 1. Conor Maguire, 2. Max Abbott,

Replacements: 16. Adam Clarkin, 17. Conor Bartley, 18. Corrie Barrett, 19. Peter Claffey, 20. Ryan Murphy, 21. Gerry Hurley, 22. Matthew Bowen, 23. Sam Coghlan Murray

live commentary 5:45 PM Friday 7 Feb 2020

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners