Wales 10 Scotland 14

Scotland won for the first time in Wales since 2002 and ended the most bizarre of championships on a high in Llanelli this afternoon

Back then, Gordon Bulloch got a driving maul try and it was decisive in the victory. Today, the hookers’ union could celebrate as Stuart McInally roared over in the second-half, to add to points from the boot from Finn Russell, Adam Hastings and captain Stuart Hogg.

It wasn’t a pretty, easy on the eye win today but Scotland’s resolve and adaptability got its reward and ensured that for the first time since 1996, they had won three successive Championship matches (and Wales was the third in the sequence back then too).

The Doddie Weir Cup will also make its first appearance in the trophy cabinet at BT Murrayfield as Gregor Townsend’s men overcame adversity which saw them lose both Russell and Hastings to injury but still maintained their discipline and played smart rugby.

Fittingly, Wales captain Alun Wyn Jones, on the day that he broke the world record for international appearances with his 149th cap, made a solo entrance at stormy Parc Y Scarlets for the long-delayed final chapter of the 2020 GUINNESS Six Nations.

Wales made one late change. James Davies replacing the injured Justin Tipuric in the back-row.

Within the first minute from Finn Russell’s kick-off, Wales were turned over and Scotland moved ball left. Liam Williams was penalised in the aftermath of a tackle on Chris Harris, but Russell pushed his kick to the right of the posts.

Wales won a penalty at the first scrum but at the second, Scotland appeared to have the nudge on. A high kick from Stuart Hogg stalled in the wind and Wales hooker Ryan Elias was caught offside. Russell gave Scotland the lead with the penalty (0-3, 9 mins).

A scrum free-kick and then Hogg’s half break set up a breakdown penalty from which Scotland opted for the touchline. Scott Cummings rose highest and Scotland went through the phases, but Chris Harris spilled a pass from more ingenuity from Hogg when it looked as if Scotland might profit.

Into the second quarter and both teams continued to find the conditions challenging with Scotland still probing at an uncompromising Welsh defence.

Wales had never been in Scotland’s 22 but from a mis-firing visitors’ lineout Elias gathered, Wales had a few forward tilts and with a penalty advantage looming, Rhys Carre drove over for the game’s first try. Dan Biggar converted (7-3, 31 mins).

If the concession of the try was bad enough for Scotland, the sight of Russell departing with a groin injury was further woe.

Jamie Ritchie won a precious turnover penalty after Fraser Brown was penalised for a “no-arms” tackle, enabling Wales to once again launch an assault in Scotland’s 22.

Scotland’s discipline had been a strong feature of the first-half and from the ninth penalty against Wales – mainly at breakdown – substitute Adam Hastings pulled back three points with a close-range goal (7-6, 41 mins).

Half-time: Wales 7 Scotland 6.

A penalty touchfinder from Hogg enabled Scotland to get their driving maul going early in the second half and though Darcy Graham was held up in the maul, Scotland countered again from the Welsh clearance with Hogg and Hastings leading another surge.

Wales again won a maul turnover and Jonathan Davies cleared from their 22 but it had been a bright restart from Scotland.

A scrum penalty after Wales had introduced Wyn Jones at loose-head from the bench, was compounded by an obstruction by Brown and Wales opted for the touchline but the hosts went off their feet at breakdown, enabling Scotland to win a relieving penalty.

A scrum penalty as the game went into the final quarter enabled Hogg to prod Scotland into the Welsh 22. Jonny Gray won the lineout and, just as we had seen at BT Murrayfield against Georgia last week, the backs joined the driving maul for Stuart McInally to get the touchdown, his tenth for Scotland. Hastings missed the conversion (7-11, 61 mins).

Leigh Halfpenny landed a penalty in Wales response (10-11, 65 mins) and Liam Williams made a brilliant high ball take from Rhys Patchell’s Garryowen as the game looked to be opening up.

Hastings left the field with a shoulder injury, meaning Scott Steele made his debut from the bench and Scotland had to reshuffle their backs with Hogg going to stand-off, Blair Kinghorn to full-back and Steele to the wing.

Price nudged Scotland into the Welsh 22 and although Wales cleared, Scotland then went through keep ball for more than 20 phases, until Price again opted for the touchline.

A quick throw from Wales meant they had to throw caution to the wind and Ritchie at breakdown won a penalty after James Lang had tackled Jonathan Davies. Hogg kicked the penalty to secure the win on the full-time whistle. (10-14).

Full time: Wales 10 Scotland 14.

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Liam Williams, Jonathan Davies, Owen Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rhys Carre, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Alun Wyn Jones CAPTAIN, Shane Lewis-Hughes, James Davies, Taulupe Faletau.

Subs: Sam Parry for Elias (69 mins), Wyn Jones for Carre (48 mins), Dillon Lewis for Francis (55-72 mins), Cory Hill for Rowlands (55 mins), Aaron Wainwright for Faletau (69 mins), Lloyd Williams for Davies (71 mins), Rhys Patchell for Biggar (42 mis), Nick Tompkins for Watkin (73 mins)

Scotland: Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs) CAPTAIN; Darcy Graham (Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Harris (Gloucester), James Lang (Harlequins), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby); Finn Russell (Racing 92), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors); Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby), Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings (all Glasgow Warriors), Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs), Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN, Hamish Watson (both Edinburgh Rugby), Blade Thomson (Scarlets).

Subs: Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) for Brown (53 mins), Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) for Sutherland (53 mins), Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby) for Fagerson (53 mins), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby), Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors) for Thomson (53 mins), Scott Steele (Harlequins) for Hastings (68 mins), Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) for Russell (32 mins), Duhan Van Der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby) for Graham (66 mins).

live commentary 2:15 PM Saturday 31 Oct 2020

{{ comment.matchTime }}

Kick-off 2:15 PM



Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners