2019 Schools Cup Finals Day

2019 Schools Cup Finals Day

It was an action-packed Schools Cup Finals day at BT Murrayfield and Oriam, as teams from across Scotland competed for silverware in the bowl, plate and shield competitions.

U16 Bowl Final: Morrisons Academy 17 – 24 Hawick High School 

Hawick High School recorded the first win of the Boy’s Schools Cup Finals day when they triumphed against Morrisons Academy winning the U16 Bowl Final.

The Borderers opened the scoring early on when winger Martin Goldie ran the first try into the corner. Minutes later Morrisons Academy hit back with a well worked try from prop Ewan McDonald as he crashed onto the post protectors, the score was converted by fullback Andrew Lowson.

From a scrum on the 22 metre line Hawick number eight Marcus Brogan picked up the ball, evaded three defenders and ran in for a try, with the extra two points added by stand-off Owain Gray from out wide.

Looking to extend their lead further Hawick winger Finlay Douglas made a break up the middle of the park, the ball made its way out to Martin Goldie who looked sure to be in for a try but was high tackled by the opposition. Hawick opted to kick for touch and from a maul at the back of the lineout number eight Marcus Brogan was able to crash over for their third try of the game.

On the attack once again were the boys from the Borders. Hawick fullback Blair Knight side-stepped several defenders to work his way up the park, the ball was recycled quickly to find second row Jack Henderson who was able to run in down the blind side for another try, which was converted by Owain Gray.

HALF-TIME: Morrison's Academy 7-24 Hawick High School

Morrisons Academy started the second half knowing that they had a big second half ahead of them if they were to secure the win. Ewan McDonald put in a storming run from just inside the half way mark, bulldozing his way to the try line to score his second try of the game and bring his team back into the game.

Hawick were awarded a penalty on the half way line, stand-off Owain Gray opted to kick for touch but it didn’t quite make it, replacement player Sean McMichan was able to get under it and secure it for Hawick. They were able to recycle it quickly which allowed Charlie Comley to go in under the posts, Ben Jardine converting.

With twenty minutes to go Morrison's started their attack again and it looked as if they may have scored but it was judged to be knocked on over the try line.

Only minutes later Hawick’s replacement scrum half Liam Bouglas was able to nip in for another Hawick score before Morrisons' Ben Ritchie was able to gain another try.

The match was called early, moments before the end, due to an injured player who we wish all the best.

FULL-TIME: Morrison's Academy 17-41 Hawick High School

Player of the Match: Corey Tait (Hawick High School)

Morrison's Academy: Andrew Lowson; Finlay McKenzie, Fraser Allan, Lachlann Forsyth CAPTAIN, Cameron Styles; William Armstrong, Finn Dunn; Ewan McDonald, Theo Currie, Leo Veilhaber, Ronan Hornby, Robert Wallace, Ben Ritchie, Archie Clark, Ben McLaren

Replacement: Jack Blair, Euan Scott, Hamish Tuffee, Gregor Warren, Cameron Brickell, Daniel Patterson, Lyle McKendrick

Hawick High School: Blair Knight; Finlay Douglas, Ben Jardine, Scott Young, Matin Goldie; Owain Gray, Liam Bouglas; Dylan Halliday, Jansen Redpath, Hughie Jo Donaldson, Jack Henderson, Blaine Halfpenny, Ruirdhri Forbes, Corey Tait CAPTAIN, Marcus Brogan

Replacements: Evan Kirkpatrick, Jake Szoneberg, Ruari Hartdegen, William Ryan, Sam Scott, Charlie Comley, Sean McMichan

U16 Schools Shield: Dunbar v Hutchesons’ Grammar School 

Dunbar Grammar School’s excellent first half showing laid the foundations for an emphatic win in the U16 Schools Shield Final at Oriam.

Opponents Hutchesons’ Grammar School defended bravely but were ultimately undone by a side that brought their best performance to the competition’s final match.

Dunbar Grammar Opened the scoring when second row Lochie Milne bulldozed over from close range, before scrum-half Angus Williams doubled their lead soon after.

Tries three and four came in quick succession for the East Lothian school, the impressive Sandy Graham crossing twice in the space of a couple of minutes to double Dunbar Grammar’s advantage.

The lead would have been extended were it not for a fantastic cover tackle by Hutchesons’ full-back Max McHarg, who brought down No 8 Elliot Young with the try line beckoning.

Dunbar Grammar did not relent in their pursuit of more tries, as first Calum Ramage and then the aforementioned Milne essentially put the game out of reach.

Hutchesons’ Grammar began the second half with fresh impetus, clearly determined to haul themselves back into the game after a disappointing opening period.

Their efforts were nearly rewarded on a couple of occasions, with the final pass just not sticking.

Dunbar Grammar extended their lead through inside centre Mikey Wimbledon-Hall, with stand-off Findlay Thomson converting, before a superbly worked line-out saw Player of the Match Elliot Young run onto a perfectly timed offload to coast home and cap off an excellent team performance.

FULL-TIME: Dunbar Grammar School 48-0 Hutchesons' Grammar School

Player of the Match: Elliot Young (Dunbar Grammar School)

Dunbar Grammar School: Callum McCullough; Harry Leslie, Sandy Graham, Mikey Wimbledon-Hall, Rory Dowding; Findlay Thomson, Angus Williams; Kit Savage, Dylan Samuels, Robbie Logan, Lochie Milne, Hamish Balharrie, Calum Ramage, Ben Miller, Elliot Young.

Replacements: Lewis Coulter, Ross Thomson, Joe Kennedy, Sam Russell, Billy Huntly, Joshua Paterson.

Hutchesons’ Grammar School: Max McHarg; Sam Oades, Magnus Friel, Jack Buchan, Rory Cattanach; John Murray, Nathan Devenish; Lance Borland, Luke Bunis, Hamish Smith (captain), Michael McAulay, Charlie Pollock, Archie Littlejohn, Adam Barmack, Greg Turner.

Replacements: Arbaaz Hanif, Finlay Taylor, Luke Keddie, Scott Hamilton, Bobbie Gillespie, Alex Eltringham, Mark Belch.

U16 Schools Plate: Queen Victoria School v The Royal High School

Queen Victoria School ran in eight tries against The Royal High School to secure the silverware in the U16 Plate final at BT Murrayfield.

The eventual winners demonstrated their attacking flair throughout the contest, playing a high-tempo and energetic game which proved to be too dominant for Royal High.

Queen Victoria got off to a bright start when Jake Leatherbarrow crossed the whitewash, with Aminio Bogidrau adding the extras (7-0).

The side were able to keep the scoreboard ticking when a neat grubber kick was collected by lock Aidan Horsburgh who raced over the line (12-0).

Following another period of sustained pressure, Queen Victoria were back on the scoreboard when Amena Caqusau sprinted down the right wing to score in the corner (17-0).

HALF-TIME: Queen Victoria School 17-0 The Royal High School

Queen Victoria carried their momentum into the second-half and the side strengthened their position in the game following another score (22-0).

Moments later, skipper Bogidrau produced a scintillating attack when he collected his own chip and chase to cruise in under the posts, capping the score off with a successful conversion from the stand-off (29-0).

The side grabbed their sixth unanswered score when replacement Jaheem Thomas launched himself into action to score in the corner (34-0).

Queen Victoria continued to dominate proceedings and some well-worked hands bought space for Theophill Natiri who scampered over the line for his side’s seventh try (39-0).

As the game drew to a close, the side were able to get themselves on the scoreboard one last time when Jaheem Thomas raced in for his second try of the game to claim a comprehensive victory for Queen Victoria School (44-0).

FULL-TIME: Queen Victoria School 44-0 The Royal High School

Player of the Match: Aminio Bogidrau (Queen Victoria School)

Queen Victoria School: Amena Caqusau; Michael Draunidalo, Roman Gurung, Subhaashish Gurung; Aminio Bogidrau CAPTAIN, Euan Lee; Arran McLeod, Samik Gurung, Lewis Gibson, Christopher Skinner, Aidan Horsburgh, Saphal Gurung, Jake Leatherbarrow, Theophill Natiri

Replacements: Connor Paterson, William Cook, Mitchell Pratt, Jaheem Thomas, Joseph Long

The Royal High School: Rory Yeats; Jamie Mcaslan, Franco Bellucci, Callan Wilson CAPTAIN, Ben Beck; Scott Mckie, Jack Wilson; Oliver Robertson, Josh Lamb, Cameron Williams, Alfie Maitland, Joseph Fazeli, Hamish Brown, Josh Templeton, Jordyn Constatino

Replacements: Ruben Binner, Cormack Russell, Nick Paterson, Hugo Alderson, Arron Purves, Rhys Forsyth

U18 Schools Bowl Final: Hawick High /Jed Grammar 17-12 Hutchesons' Grammar School

The 2019 U18 Schools Bowl Final between a combined Hawick High/Jed Grammar and Hutchesons’ Grammar showed school rugby at it’s best.

It was an encounter that saw momentum swing back and forth, but the Borders side held on to lift the bowl.

Henry Benbom set the tone of the match with an electric run down the wing in the opening exchanges but was well tackled after beating a number of opponents.

The first score of the game came through a good bit of anticipation by the Hutchesons' captain as he intercepted on the halfway line to run in under the posts. Gregor Adams made no mistake with the conversion under the sticks.

The combined side then came back into the contest, initially set up by a clever kick down the line by Lewis Smith before Elliot Stanger dotted down to put their first points on the board.

They soon pushed further ahead through Stephen Cook, but it was far from conventional, a sweeping move found the willing prop out on the wing before showing a clean pair of heels to the defender before sprinting down the line to score.

The conversion was missed from left of the posts, as the combined side led at half-time.

HALF-TIME: Hawick High / Jed 10-5 Hutchesons' Grammar School

It Hawick/Jed who opened the scoring in the second half. It came after an attempted chip into space in their own 22 by Hutchesons’ found the hands of Elliott Stanger who made the most of the space created by the broken play and darted in to give Lewis Smith an easy conversion attempt, which he duly slotted.

Hutchesons’ didn’t give up, however, as they looked to drag themselves back into the contest.

They bounced back as full-back Steven Slater finished off in the corner to give his side renewed hope. The conversion attempt fell just short with the score now 17-12.

The combined captain Ben Scott was shown a yellow card as his side had to withstand relentless pressure in the final few minutes of the match.

Ibrahim Shaikh thought he had won it at the death as he dived over, but referee Gregor McIntosh adjudicated that he was held up.

The full time whistle was greeted with huge cheers from the Hawick/Jed side as they held on to win a thrilling contest.

FULL-TIME: Hawick High / Jed Grammar 17-12 Hutchesons' Grammar School

Player of the Match: Elliot Stanger (Hawick High / Jed Grammar)

Hawick High / Jed Grammar: Corrie Patterson; Clark Graham, Elliot Stanger, Jack Chelley, Lewis Smith; Cian Riddell, Ben Scott CAPTAIN; Harry Scott, Caleb Moffat, Stephen Cook, Keegan McGeown, James Wieczysty, Ben Howe, Tom Cromarty, Gareth Williams

Replacements: Patrick Fishwick, Ben Swailes, Philip Porter, Owen Duncan, Lewis Elder, Findlay Falconer.

Hutchesons' Grammar School: Steven Slater; Alex Kayne, Alex Marshall CAPTAIN, Campbell Johnston, Henry Benbom; Gregor Adams, Stan Hickey; Ibrahim Shaikh, Noah Bateman, Alastair McGilvray, Joshua Girvan, Calum Taylor, Alex Hyman, Oscar Lonergan-Black, James McDonald

Replacements: Euan Stewart, Alistair Reid, Jonathan Good, Craig Dunipace, Craig Geddes, Donald Cattanach, Tom Fergusson

Gordonstoun School v Earlston High School

Earlston High School were able to clinch the U18 Schools Plate, after they scored four tries over Gordonstoun School.

Earlston opened the scoring when winger Aaron Neil was able to capitalise on some great passing from his back-line to score the first try of the game, with Zander Rammage converting.

Gordonstoun were keen to get the next score and they pressurised the Earlston defence for long periods before it popped out the back of the ruck and into the hands of Roly Brett who was able to run Earlston out of the danger zone.

From the half-way line good phases of supporting play allowed Earlston centre Ross Lyle to crash over the try line, with Rammage again adding the extras.

Gordonstoun mounted their attack as they looked to use Deji Adetona down the wing, however, the Earlston defence was too strong for him to find away through.

HALF-TIME: Gordonstoun School 0-14 Earlston High School

Gordonstoun opened the scoring in the second half when stand-off Jack Buchanan was able to crash over the white-wash to record their first score of the game.

Earlston’s replacement full-back Keiran Clark used his lethal side step to get his team out of the danger zone and as he reached the half-way line he chipped ahead. It looked as if he might be able to collect the ball and record an exciting score but it was booted away by the Gordonstoun defence.

Moments later Clark took a quick lineout and got the ball back into play by passing out to his backline, his centre Ross Lyle was able to find a gap on the opposite wing to record his second try of the game.

As the final whistle drew closer, Earlston centre Roly Brett made a break up the park, the ball was recycled quickly and it found fullback Matthew Bertram who scored the final try of the game with Rammage again adding the extras.

FULL-TIME: Gordonstoun School 5-26 Earlston High School

Player of the Match: Roly Brett (Earlston High School)

Earlston High School: Matthew Bertram; Aaron Neil, Ross Lile, Roly Brett, Michael Dalton; Zander Rammage, Ben Lynch (C); Robbie Easson, Angus Spinner, Bjay Gunn Grieve, Callum Folan, Alex Daunas, Jamie Clarke, Josh Hibbs, Nick Henderson

Replacements: Steven Sorrie, Finlay Dunmore, Cameron Cormack, Sam Derrick, Keiran Clark.

Gordonstoun School: Robbie Macgregor; Deji Adetona, Hughie Burchnall, Sumi Ayere, Oliver Cooper; Jake Buchanan, Jamie Riddick; Craig Davidson, Murdo Livingston, Murray Robinson-Boulton, Calum Caven, Alex Naylor, Ruari Tait, Jay Berry, Alvaro Munoz Del Castillo-Olivares

Replacements: Guy Sharp, Leon Kuehne, Will McDowell, Angus Grigor-Ramsay, David Wakefield

U18 Schools Shield Final : ​George Heriot’s School 10-26 Merchiston Castle School

Merchiston Castle School beat George Heriot’s School in an entertaining fixture that saw both sides battle the elements as much as one another.

As the deluge approached, George Heriot’s got off to a perfect start when hooker Luke Harrison crossed for the first score of the game after a matter of minutes.

Both teams were cheered on by a willing crowd, although conditions for the majority of the first half put paid to attractive rugby. Rather, it was attritional and tight, and Merchiston Castle quickly got themselves back in the game when outside centre Finlay Broch McCallum flew over after a fine passing move, although the scores remained at 5-5 after the conversion was missed.

Merchiston took the lead when No 8 Hector Skipworth breached the Heriot’s defence after some patient build-up play, with co-captain Alex Fraser converting to establish a seven-point lead as the half-time interval approached.

HALF-TIME: George Heriot's School 5-12 Merchiston Castle School

The weather cleared as the second period got underway, although the greasy condition of the outfield led to a few handling errors in a game where both sides showed an ambition to play attacking rugby as best they could.

It was Merchiston Castle who got the important next score, Skipworth crashing over and Fraser converting to put some light between the teams with 15 minutes left to play.

George Heriot’s couldn’t quite get the territorial advantage they needed to force their way back in and when Merchiston went over for a fourth, time had effectively run out for any threat of a comeback.

Heriot’s did manage to find some solace by way of Harrison’s second try, burrowing over from close range, but Merchiston Castle were ultimately good value for their 26-10 to the delight of players and support alike.

FULL-TIME: George Heriot's School 10-26 Merchiston Castle School

Player of the Match: Hector Skipworth (Merchiston Castle School)

George Heriot’s School: Douglas Blood; Bruno Steel, Callum Anderson, Andrew McCall, Oliver McAllister; Finlay Scanlan, William Massey; Xander McMillan, Luke Harrison, Jeremy Saville, Harry Winning, Josh Mauritzen, Connor Bibby, Rory Kirkpatrick CAPTAIN.

Replacements: Gregor Whyte, Douglas Sinclair, Alan Rafferty, George Turnbull, Sam Horberry, Laurence Linklater, Paul Christie.

Merchiston Castle School: Struan Wells; Jamie Stove, Finlay Broch McCallum, Alex Fraser CO-CAPTAIN, David Taylor; Adam Wight, Ben Afshar; Ryven Ewing, Robert Adamson, Guy Napier, Charlie Framer, Ollie Strudwick, Teddy Thomson, Alex Geddes CO-CAPTAIN, Hector Skipworth.

Replacements: Toby Gray, Tom Channing, Harry Stephen, Tom Logan, Archie Frame, John Paul Cutting, Archie Maxwell-MacDonald.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners

Peter Vardy logo