Doyle names team for first Scotstoun Test
Scotland Women Head Coach Philip Doyle has named his starting team for the Autumn Test match against Wales on Sunday at Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow (kick-off 3.10pm).
The team is an experienced side with only two uncapped players in the squad. Evie Tonkin, who has come through the Scottish Qualified Programme and Sarah Denholm who has come through the Scottish Futures Programme, will be on the bench for the first of the two Test matches being held at Scotstoun.
With Wales in ninth in the World Rugby rankings, two places above Scotland, it looks set to be a closely contested match. The last three encounters with Wales have resulted in the teams being separated by no more than two points.
Skipper Rachel Malcolm, on her first start at captain, will begin at blindside flanker in a match which will be very special for her and her family at Scotstoun. Helen Nelson, who will support as vice-captain, starts at inside centre.
In the pack, hooker Jodie Rettie lines up in the front row, ably supported by Megan Kennedy and Mairi Forsyth.
Emma Wassell and Sarah Bonar pack down in the second row with Louise McMillan at openside flanker and Jade Konkel at number 8.
Mhairi Grieve gets the nod at scrum-half and Lisa Martin returns to the team at fly-half, which is especially notable given this will be her 50th cap.
Rhona Lloyd and Megan Gaffney line up on either wing, Lisa Thomson starts at outside centre and Chloe Rollie completes the back division at full-back.
Doyle said on selection: “I am really looking forward to the Sunday and experiencing my first home match at Scotstoun.
“We have a few injuries right now which has seen changes to our recent starting line-up, but we are delighted to still have such an experienced squad that we can select from and I know that all girls selected will put on a fantastic performance against Wales.
“We know that this is going to be a tough match against Wales. They are well drilled following their recent two Autumn Test matches against Spain and Ireland.
“We need to keep working consistently hard on and off the pitch to ensure that we can get a performance that we are all proud of on Sunday and it will add to our preparation for the World Cup Qualifiers next September, which are paramount in turn for the development of this squad.”
Scotland Women team to face Wales on Sunday at Scotstoun
(kick-off 3.10pm – live via BBC Alba)
15. Chloe Rollie (Harlequins)
14. Rhona Lloyd (Loughborough Lightning)
13. Lisa Thomson (Darlington Mowden Park)
12. Helen Nelson – vice captain (Loughborough Lightning)
11. Megan Gaffney (Watsonians)
10. Lisa Martin (Saracens)
9. Mhairi Grieve (Firwood Waterloo)
1. Megan Kennedy (Stirling County)
2. Jodie Rettie (Saracens)
3. Mairi Forsyth (Corstorphine Cougars)
4. Emma Wassell (Corstorphine Cougars)
5. Sarah Bonar (Loughborough Lightning)
6. Rachel Malcolm - captain (Loughborough Lightning)
7. Louise McMillan (Hillhead Jordanhill)
8. Jade Konkel (Harlequins)
16. Panashe Muzambe (Edinburgh University / Watsonians)
17. Lisa Cockburn (Darlington Mowden Park)
18. Christine Belisle (Cartha Queens Park)
19. Rachel McLachlan (Darlington Mowden Park)
20. Jenny Maxwell (Loughborough Lightning)
21. Sarah Denholm (Edinburgh University)
22. Abi Evans (Darlington Mowden Park)
23. Evie Tonkin (Darlington Mowden Park)
Packages and tickets are available for all four of Scotland's home fixtures this season. Show your support for the team and save with the new 4-match season-long package or Autumn Test 2-match package.
Match tickets are still available for Sunday's match against Wales, including the kids for £1 offer (with a paying adult, until midnight Sat 15 Nov). BUY NOW