Doyle selects team for Cherry Blossoms Test
Scotland Women Head Coach Philip Doyle has named his starting team for the second Autumn Test match against Japan this Sunday at Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow (kick-off 1pm) – live at www.scottishrugby.org.
Doyle has made seven changes to his starting side due to injuries and players returning to the squad. Two uncapped players have been named as substitutes, increasing the pool of players available following two further new caps being awarded last week.
Skipper Rachel Malcolm has moved to hooker from flanker, following recent injuries to the front-row, and will be joined by props Lisa Cockburn and Mairi Forsyth.
Cockburn has moved off the bench to start with Megan Kennedy out due to an injury sustained last weekend.
Louise McMillan will be ably supported by Rachel McLachlan as flankers, with Sarah Bonar remaining in the second row.
Emma Wassell and Jade Konkel will earn their 40th caps when they start at second-row and number eight respectively.
Jenny Maxwell will start at scrum-half with Helen Nelson moving to stand-off.
Lisa Thomson has moved to inside-centre with Hannah Smith returning to the squad to start at outside-centre, with Megan Gaffney and Rhona Lloyd (wing) and Chloe Rollie (full-back) making up the back-three.
Japan are ranked 15th in the World, four places below Scotland, and have made had a strong start to the season with a 17-17 draw against a strong Italian side last weekend.
Doyle said: “We’re all really looking forward to playing Japan on Sunday."
“They are an exciting team and it is great to be able to develop the relationship between the two unions even further." Philip Doyle
“We’ve suffered a few injuries since last week so have brought in a couple of players to the squad. Anne Young came to South Africa with us, so it’s a good opportunity to bring her back into the squad.
“Issy Drexler is new to the squad and I’m keen to see how she works alongside some of her Watsonians teammates if she makes it onto the field this weekend.”
Scotland Women team to face Wales at Scotstoun
Sunday 23 November (kick-off 1pm) – live at scottishrugby.org
15. Chloe Rollie (Harlequins)
14. Rhona Lloyd (Loughborough Lightning)
13. Hannah Smith (Watsonians)
12. Lisa Thomson (Darlington Mowden Park)
11. Megan Gaffney (Watsonians)
10. Helen Nelson VICE CAPTAIN (Loughborough Lightning)
9. Jenny Maxwell (Loughborough Lightning)
1. Lisa Cockburn (Darlington Mowden Park)
2. Rachel Malcolm CAPTAIN (Loughborough Lightning)
3. Mairi Forsyth (Corstorphine Cougars)
4. Emma Wassell (Corstorphine Cougars)
5. Sarah Bonar (Loughborough Lightning)
6. Louise McMillan (Hillhead Jordanhill)
7. Rachel McLachlan (Darlington Mowden Park)
8. Jade Konkel (Harlequins)
16. Issy Drexler (Watsonians)
17. Panashe Muzambe (Edinburgh University / Watsonians)
18. Anne Young (Edinburgh University)
19. Christine Belisle (Cartha Queens Park)
20. Evie Tonkin (Darlington Mowden Park)
21. Mhairi Grieve (Firwood Waterloo)
22. Sarah Denholm (Edinburgh University)
23. Abi Evans (Darlington Mowden Park)
Tickets are available for Sunday’s match against Japan and Scotland’s two home Women’s Six Nations matches against England (Sun 9 Feb, 12.10pm) and France (Sat 7 March, 7.45pm), including the kids for £1 offer (with a paying adult, ends midnight before each match). BUY NOW