Four uncapped players in Scotland squad to face Samoa
Head Coach Gregor Townsend has named four uncapped players in the 23-man Scotland squad to face Samoa this Saturday at BT Murrayfield (kick-off 2.30pm) – live on BBC and BT Sport.
round 65,500 tickets have been sold for the first of three Autumn Tests played on consecutive Saturdays this month, with the following tests against New Zealand (18 November) and Australia (25 November) selling out, in record time, in July.
Scotland head Coach Gregor Townsend, said: “We’re looking forward to playing three very good teams this autumn and Samoa will be a big challenge for us first up.
“Scotland-Samoa games have been tight affairs over the recent years and the recent Rugby World Cup game, which went right to the wire, is also still fresh in the memory.
“We have approached this game – like we will for all our games this season – knowing that to achieve success we will have to play close to our very best.
“Samoa are a very dangerous team with a number of top quality players.”
Edinburgh Rugby prop Darryl Marfo [pictured right] will start the match, while Glasgow Warriors front-row forwards George Turner and Jamie Bhatti, and Newcastle Falcons outside back, Chris Harris, could debut if called upon from the bench.
Marfo is joined by fellow Edinburgh Rugby forwards Stuart McInally and Willem Nel in the front-row, with the back-five from the summer test win over Australia earning reselection: Jonny Gray reforming the locking partnership with Ben Toolis, while number 8 Ryan Wilson is partnered with flankers Hamish Watson and captain John Barclay.
The return to fitness and recent signing of Huw Jones means that an all-Glasgow Warriors back-line will start the match: Teammates and housemates Ali Price (scrum-half) and Finn Russell (stand-off) start together for Scotland for the fifth time this year, Alex Dunbar joins Jones in midfield, with Lee Jones, Tommy Seymour and Stuart Hogg as the back-three.
Townsend added: “It’s great that four players could make their international debuts this weekend.
“They have earned this call through their performances for their clubs and the energy they have trained with over the past couple of weeks.
“All of our squad is excited by the prospect of representing their country in front of a packed BT Murrayfield this Saturday."
Scotland team to face Samoa at BT Murrayfield, 2017 Autumn Tests
Saturday 11 November (kikc-off 2.30pm) - live on BBC and BT Sport
15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 53 caps
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 36 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 26 caps
11. Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 29 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
1. Darryl Marfo (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 18 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 4 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 35 caps
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets) – 63 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
8. Ryan Wilson VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 30 caps
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
20. Cornell du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
21. Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
23. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) – uncapped