Scotland Women team named to face Spain
Scotland Women Head Coach Shade Munro has made three changes to the starting team to face Spain in tomorrow's (Sunday) Test match at the Complutense National Stadium in Madrid.
Scotland Women's last match at Scotstoun against Canada, who are ranked fourth in the world, ended with a close 25-28 defeat for the hosts.
Centre Hannah Smith returns to the starting side following her recovery from injury.
Siobhan Cattigan will come into the number 8 position following an injury sustained by Jade Konkel for Harlequins against Saracens last weekend.
Lisa Thomson continues as captain ahead of the first Six Nations match against Italy on Friday 1 February at Scotstoun (kick-off 7.35pm).
Two new additions to the squad come in the form of Sophie Anderson and Lucy Minty as they take a place on the Scotland Women bench for the first time.
Anderson, a midwifery student and former footballer, and Minty, a veterinary student at Edinburgh University have been training regularly with the National Training Group ahead of their call ups to the national team.
Shade Munro said: “I am excited to welcome Hannah back into the team for this match against Spain. She is a great asset to have on the pitch and it will be good to see what she will bring in this match.
"With Hannah back, we are trying a new back-row set up. Helen Nelson will be playing as 10, a position that she knows well and currently plays for Montpellier. Annabel Sergeant has settled back into the squad after her time away in Australia. She has earned her spot in the starting team.
“Spain are ranked ninth in the world, two spots ahead of ourselves. They have had a successful Autumn Test series so far, beating Hong Kong 60-5 and South Africa 17-5. This should be a tough Test and what we need ahead of the Six Nations.”
Scotland team to face Spain
Sunday 20 January (kick off 12.30pm local time – 11:30am GMT)
15. Chloe Rollie ** (Lille Metropole Rugby Club Villeneuvios)
14. Lauren Harris (Bristol Women)
13. Hannah Smith (Hillhead Jordanhill)
12. Lisa Thomson ** CAPTAIN (Darlington Mowden Park)
11. Annabel Sergeant (Heriots Rugby Club)
10. Helen Nelson ** (Montpellier)
9. Mhairi Grieve (Firwood Waterloo)
1. Lisa Cockburn (Darlington Mowden Park)
2. Lana Skeldon ** (Watsonians)
3. Megan Kennedy ** (Stirling County)
4. Emma Wassell * (Heriots Rugby Club)
5. Nicola Howat * (Edinburgh University)
6. Louise McMillan * (Hillhead/Jordanhill)
7. Rachel McLachlan (Stirling County)
8. Siobhan Cattigan (Stirling County)
16. Jodie Rettie (Saracens)
17. Lucy Minty (Heriots Rugby Club)
18. Mairi Forsyth (Stirling County)
19. Sophie Anderson (Hillhead Jordanhill)
20. Lucy Winter (Edinburgh University)
21. Jenny Maxwell (Loughborough Lightning)
22. Lisa Martin ** (Lille Metropole Rugby Club Villeneuvios)
23. Abi Evans (Hillhead Jordanhill)
* Fosroc Scottish Rugby Academy Supported Player 2018/19
** 2021 Supported Contract 2018/19
Scotland Women will be playing against Italy on Friday 1 February at Scotstoun in the first match of the 2019 Six Nations campaign. Tickets are currently on sale for this match from the Scottish Rugby website.