Scottish Rugby announce new Tennent’s Women’s League and Cup competition structure
Scottish Rugby yesterday announced the final league and competitions structure for the Tennent’s Women’s League and Cup competitions for 2019.
This follows a consultation process in which clubs were asked to review two viable options for how the league and cup competitions will be run. This included agreeing on start dates for the respective competitions, as well as if cup competitions should be run as national or regional pools.
The result of the consultation process is as follows:
- Tennent’s Women’s Premiership will commence on Sunday 25 August 2019.
- Tennent’s Women’s National 1 will commence on Sunday 18 August 2019.
- Tennent’s Women’s East 1 will commence on Sunday 25 August 2019.
- Tennent’s Women’s North 1 will commence on Sunday 25 August 2019.
- Tennent’s Women’s West 1 will commence on Sunday 25 August 2019.
All leagues will finish on Sunday 15 December 2019.
The Cup Competition will commence on Sunday 3 March 2019 with teams placed into Regional pools with the Sarah Beaney Cup, National Plate and National Bowl competitions finishing on Saturday 27 April 2019.
Head of Girls’ and Women’s Rugby Gemma Fay said: “Thank you to all clubs and stakeholders that have been part of this robust consultation process. Your continued support in the development of the women’s game in Scotland has been appreciated and we look forward to working with you as we work towards the new season.”
The next steps are to ensure that all competition rules and regulations are amended accordingly and to finalise all cup competition pools and league fixtures. Further details will be released in the New Year.