Smith and Gaffney return for Italy Test
Scotland Women Head Coach Philip Doyle has named his team for his side’s third 2020 Women’s Six Nations match against Italy on Sunday at Stadio Giovanni Mari, Legnano (kick-off 5.10pm – live on BBC Alba).
Doyle has made two changes to the team that faced England a couple of weeks ago at BT Murrayfield. Centre Hannah Smith and wing Megan Gaffney have returned to the squad after not being available for the second round of matches due to injury.
Mairi McDonald starts at scrum-half with Helen Nelson named at stand-off. The returning Smith will be supported by Lisa Thomson in the centre and Rhona Lloyd is selected alongside Gaffney on the wing, as Chloe Rollie retains the full-back berth.
In the pack, Lana Skeldon remains as hooker and will win her 40th cap for Scotland, with props Leah Bartlett and Mairi Forsyth either side of her.
Emma Wassell and Sarah Bonar are paired in the second-row once more with Jade Konkel remaining at number 8. Captain Rachel Malcolm will operate at blindside flanker with Rachel McLachlan at openside.
Doyle said on selection: “I was pleased with how the team played against Ireland in the opening match of the Six Nations. With Hannah and Megan returning to the team it made sense to use the same strong starting team for this important match against Italy.
“England was tough for the team but there was also a lot of key learnings that came from it. We have been focussing on these at training this week and I am confident that it will make us stronger.
“It will be a demanding match on Sunday but the way that Italy play will compliment us as they are a fast side. It is sure to be an entertaining match.”
Scotland Women team to face Italy on Sunday at Stadio Giovanni Mari, Legnano
(kick-off 5.10pm – live on BBC Alba)
15. Chloe Rollie (Harlequins)
14. Rhona Lloyd (Loughborough Lightning)
13. Hannah Smith (Watsonians)
12. Lisa Thomson (Darlington Mowden Park)
11. Megan Gaffney (Watsonians)
10. Helen Nelson (Loughborough Lightning)
9. Mairi McDonald (Hillhead Jordanhill)
1. Leah Bartlett (Loughborough Lightning)
2. Lana Skeldon (Darlington Mowden Park)
3. Mairi Forsyth (Corstorphine Cougars)
4. Emma Wassell (Corstorphine Cougars)
5. Sarah Bonar (Loughborough Lightning)
6. Rachel Malcolm – captain (Loughborough Lightning)
7. Rachel McLachlan (Darlington Mowden Park)
8. Jade Konkel (Harlequins)
16. Molly Wright (Watsonians)
17. Panashe Muzambe (Edinburgh University / Watsonians)
18. Lisa Cockburn (Darlington Mowden Park)
19. Siobhan Cattigan (Stirling County)
20. Louise McMillan (Hillhead Jordanhill)
21. Sarah Law (Darlington Mowden Park)
22. Rachel Law (Edinburgh University)
23. Evie Tonkin (Darlington Mowden Park)
Scotland return to Scotstoun Stadium next month to take on France on Saturday 7 March (kick-off 19.45pm), find tickets. Kids for £1 tickets are available with a paying adult ticket until midnight Friday 6 March, U12 tickets increase to £5 on match day.