U20 | Scotland rotate squad ahead of England clash
Head Coach Bryan Redpath has named the Scotland U20 team to face England U20 at Béziers’ Stade de la Méditerranée in the age-grade side’s final group fixture of the World Rugby U20 Championship this Thursday (7 June, kick-off 8pm BST/ 9pm local time) – streamed live on worldrugby.org.
As Scotland search for their first victory of the 2018 Championship, just three players remain from the starting XV which faced off against Argentina three-days ago.
A revamped front-row sees props Ross Dunbar and Finlay Richardson pack down next to hooker Robbie Smith – who is named as captain – while Ewan Johnson and Heriot’s Charlie Jupp form a new look second-row.
Newcastle Falcons’ Guy Graham – a late call-off in Sunday’s loss to Argentina – is named at openside flanker alongside Marshall Sykes, while Watsonians’ James Miller makes his first appearance of the tournament at number eight.
A fresh half-back pairing sees Glasgow Hawks’ Ross Thompson named at stand-off alongside scrum-half Charlie Gowling.
Outside-centre Patrick Anderson – who missed the entirety of the Six Nations campaign due to injury - returns to action to partner Northampton Saints’ product Fraser Strachan in the midfield.
The inclusion of winger Kyle Rowe is the only alteration to an otherwise unchanged back-three as Logan Trotter reverts to full-back, while Sam Yawayawa retains his place on the opposite flank.
On his team selection, Redpath, said: “We were obviously disappointed to fall short against Argentina on Sunday. It was a close, physical battle, that was probably a lot closer than the final score suggested.
“There were a huge number of positives to take from the Argentina match; some of our attacking play was excellent, but we felt it was necessary to make changes heading into Thursday’s England fixture.
“It’s going to be a tough match-up – England have shown their strength and depth in both of their wins over Argentina and Italy – but, I’ve got every confidence that this group of players can compete and battle for the full 80 minutes.”
Scotland U20 team to face England U20 at Stade de la Méditerranée in the World Rugby U20 Championship this Thursday 7 June (kick-off 8 pm BST/ 9pm local time) – streamed live on worldrugby.org
15. Logan Trotter (Stirling County)*
14. Kyle Rowe (Glasgow Hawks)
13. Patrick Anderson (Melrose)*
12. Fraser Strachan (Northampton Saints)
11. Sam Yawayawa (Glasgow Hawks)**
10. Ross Thompson (Glasgow Hawks)*
9. Charlie Gowling (Stade Francais)
1. Ross Dunbar (Boroughmuir)*
2. Robbie Smith (Ayr)** CAPTAIN
3. Finlay Richardson (Edinburgh Accies)
4. Ewan Johnson (Racing Metro 92)
5. Charlie Jupp (Heriot’s)*
6. Marshall Sykes (St Jospeh’s College)
7. Guy Graham (Newcastle Falcons)
8. James Miller (Watsonians)*
16. Finlay Scott (Jed Forest)*
17. Finn Hobbis (Watsonians)*
18. Murphy Walker (Strathallan School)*
19. Martin Hughes (Heriot’s)*
20. Devante Onojaife (Northampton Saints)
21. Charlie Chapman (Gloucester)
22. Callum McLelland (Edinburgh)
23. Stafford McDowall (Ayr)**
*BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy supported players 2017/18
**BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 players 2017/18