Scottish Rugby Union is committed to ensuring that rugby is a sport for all – without barriers, real or perceived. Scottish Rugby's policy in relation to the participation of Transgender players in the gender category of the sport with which they identify can be accessed by clicking on the link below:
The following details explain how we as an organisation address enquiries from Transgender players.
Scottish Rugby is committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for all those participating in our sport. In doing so we will adopt inclusive policies to enable Transgender players to play in an environment which protects the wellbeing of all players and which promotes fair competition. The privacy and the dignity of Transgender players will be respected.
Everyone within the Scottish Rugby community will be made aware of our policies to promote the safety and wellbeing of those playing the game.
- Primary responsibility for the health and wellbeing of each player lies with the individual player. In agreeing to participate players must take seriously the risk of injury to themselves and to others.
- Scottish Rugby, and those governed by Scottish Rugby, will follow best practice in relation to the participation of Transgender players.
- We believe that best practice is currently represented by the World Rugby Transgender Policy and the IOC Transgender Guidelines.
- The principles contained within the World Rugby Policy and IOC Guidelines have been incorporated into Scottish Rugby’s Transgender Policy.
- Transgender players wishing to participate in Scottish domestic rugby shall do so on the basis of Scottish Rugby’s Transgender Policy. Additional requirements may arise in respect of participation in international tournaments.
- The welfare and safety of the player is paramount. The dignity and privacy of Transgender players must be respected.
Transgender players seeking permission to play in the category of competition consistent with their gender identity should contact Scottish Rugby's Chief Medical Officer, Dr James Robson, at [email protected] or 0131 346 5000.
If you can’t find the information you are looking for or have a specific query on Scottish Rugby's Transgender Policy please contact Scottish Rugby's Head of Regulation, Graham Ireland, at [email protected] or 07764 178932.