Boys U15 Player Development Hub Programme
The boys U15 player development programme (PDH) is an intensive training and playing programme to be delivered in Spring 2020. It replaces the early talent ID programme and is delivered across 17 hubs throughout the five regions of Scotland for nomination club and school players. The programme is also an avenue for players to be selected for performance and representative squads at U16 level.
What does the programme involve?
- Provide players with more opportunities to train with quality coaches.
- Support club and school coaches to improve the quality of their training environments.
- Develop players and coaches understanding of the Technical Blueprint ‘The Scottish Way’.
- Engage and support parents throughout the player development process. Provide an opportunity for players to be identified for talent development and performance programmes.
The programme will be delivered by the Rugby Development department and will be overseen by Regional Managers, with sessions led by qualified and experienced coaches.
Nomination Process and Criteria
Nominations can only be made by a club/school coach. All players must meet the eligibility criteria and be nominated using the criteria (both set out below).
All players must be:
- current members of a rugby club or school in Scotland.
- be a registered player on the SCRUMS system (click here for further information)
- born between 1st January 2005 – 31st December 2005
We are looking for players who:
- Are ready to engage in a challenging development programme.
- Are committed to the sport - work hard at club/school training and in their own time.
- Work well in a team environment
In addition, nominated players should demonstrate some or all of the areas below.
Nominations closed on Friday 10 January 2020. If you are a player or player’s parent and are interested in the programme, please contact your rugby coach. All nominated players will be invited to attend the player development programme, with no deselection taking place throughout.
Please complete the online nomination form for your region by following the links below.
Please note: If we receive a disproportionate amount of nominations from any single club or school we will ask for another internal selection to be made to ensure the current players are nominated.
For further information on the player development hub programme, coaches should contact their Regional Manager.
Why does the programme have a 1st January eligibility cut off?
The 1st January is used by World Rugby and Rugby Europe for all representative programmes. It is important for the programme to be consistent with these, as some players will progress into the performance programmes.
Will players be provided with feedback?
Players will receive continuous verbal feedback from coaches during sessions. At the end of the programme, each player will receive written feedback on their progress, and key areas for them to develop moving forwards. This information will be sent onto the players’ coach and parent/guardian for their information.
How will players be selected for these programmes?
All nominated players will be selected for the programme and may be invited to take part in additional sessions and festivals.
Additional players may be brought into the programme once it has commenced, if there is a lack of availability or injury.
Which coaches will deliver on the programme?
All coaches will be UKCC Level 2 (minimum) qualified, with many either UKCC level 3 and/or PE teacher trained. All sessions will be delivered towards a national curriculum linked to the Technical Blueprint ‘The Scottish Way’.
What is the medical provision at sessions and festivals?
All sessions which involve full contact will have a qualified physio present. The physio’s role is to deal will any injuries picked up during the session, and not to deal with pre-existing injuries.